Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.

#2686  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

The Shortlived S-1
 #2799  by Ralph D Kautz

In Steam it would be the T1 4-4-4-4 in a Diesel it would be the Baldwin Centipede BP 60

#3097  by rdganthracite

The I1sa is my favorite. When I was young I saw the Bethlehem Steel ore train slamming through Shamokin PA with two I1's on the front and two shoving on the rear. What a show!

#4152  by Tamping Pick

Texas types, oh yep Dupes too.
PICK

#5910  by PRRGuy

I'll have to also go with the K-4...Diesel would have to be the Baldwin Sharks in the Green 5-stripe job. (Makes me wish i were born about 50 yrs earlier so i could've seen them.)

#5958  by Urban D Kaye

T1 for looks...K-4 for durability and performance.

#6644  by Rick F.

Mine is the M-1a. It was PRR's best overall engine. You could haul all kinds of trains with this engine, drag freights, hot shots, and passenger trains.

Rick F.

#6874  by msernak

The T-1 4-4-4-4.

#7256  by CarterB

Loewy streamlined K-4
T1, S1

#8045  by Paul

A5! I could build a new one in my garrage!
 #8421  by Franklin Gowen

The mighty J-1.

Somewhat more tractive effort, but -much- more horsepower than the PRR's own freight steam power of the same time period. And about 15-20 years newer, too.

A shame that the C&O had to get all the credit.

The middle of WW2 was not the best time to try designing & building a brand-new fleet of steam freight engines.

#9041  by GandyDancer

STEAM - The E-6s Atlantic. The original speed king. Fast, incredibly durable and a great show to watch at speed.

ELECTRIC - The E44/E44a. A big nasty brute that could pull.

DIESEL - The E-8. Classic styling. Always great to see them posed next to the GG-1's in South Amboy on the engine swap.

#11549  by Hostler

Steam - tough call, but K-4 with T-1 close second

Electric - GG-1

Diesel - Passenger Sharks. Used to see them run light on the Mainline using coming or going to NJ Coast interchange outside Rahway. I did see many Diesel/Electric change over just outside Rahway. Does anyone know what this area was called.

#23355  by jayrmli

Being from Long Island, I have to say the G5, with a K4 coming in a close second.

Jay