Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #348114  by Milesius

Hi I am trying to gather as much 1950 information about the PRR and LHR BEL DEL before I create a close to accurate Model of it in HO scale. I am planning to Make it from Trenton to Belvidere and maybe further north to the DLW connection. I am planning to do Early November of 1950. I pick that year because that was the last year the PRR ran steam on the Bel Del and they purchased all 1000HP engines, probably ALCo RS-1's.

I need to know what were the train names that ran for the PRR and LHR and what were they carrying.

I need to know if anyone has accurate track diagrams of towns along this route.

I need to know if anyone has blue prints of any of the stations or structures along the way.

Did the P-Burg yard have 2 coaling facilities for their steam engines in the yard next to the turntable or one operating in 1950? One was a newly created concrete coaling tower, and there was an elevated coaling track that was along one where the coaling tower was too.

What Interchange trains went into the PRR P-Burg yard in 1950? LV CNJ DLW or did the PRR go to their yards to pick up?

Did the PRR take its own engines out of the P-Burg yard and send them to Bethlehem Steal or did the LV pick up the oar cars?

How long where the trains that the PRR ran locally around P-Burg.

Who were the companies that the PRR and LHR serviced in 1950?

I know there is a lot but any information would be great and remember it has to be around 1950.

Thanks,

Donald McGowan
Last edited by Milesius on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#350854  by SooLineRob

Try here:

http://raildata.railfan.net

This site has many railroads' details, including "track profiles". Go to the PRR section, and you'll find a 1963 profile, or map. Although it's later than your time frame, it would be a good start for any track plan project...

#350916  by Schuylkill Valley

Hello Miles,
I have a 1904 TT of the line.

Len.
 #351557  by Milesius

Sorry I didn't realize what you wrote untill I sent what it was. I have that too and many others. I need to know How many freight trains went daily on the Bel Del in 1950.

#455475  by C. Crane

If you don't already have them, pick up copies of Warren Lee's 'Down Along the Old Bel-Del' and the 'Bel-Del Compendeum', These are the difinitive texts on the Bel-Del branch. The compenduem has a copy of the timetable from the 50's and also lists traffice volumne of the era.
 #455508  by Milesius

C. Crane wrote:If you don't already have them, pick up copies of Warren Lee's 'Down Along the Old Bel-Del' and the 'Bel-Del Compendeum', These are the difinitive texts on the Bel-Del branch. The compenduem has a copy of the timetable from the 50's and also lists traffice volumne of the era.
I have them both and they are very good books. There is a lack of information on train freight numbers which ran on the Bel Del daily in the early 50's, unless I miss something. I also like to get a list of consists that was running from one yard to the next and locally. I plan on building a layout either in my future basement or the club I am starting here in Central NJ, with the intention to run it on a operation night. :-)

#455758  by C. Crane

I have seen, somewhere, the schedule you speak of. I thought it was reproduced in Lee's book. I may have found it on the web. I think I may have copied it and will look for it.

I also had researched the pants off the Bel-Del for my own layout.

#455821  by AlexC

It's not much, but check this list of Freight Symbols as of 1960.

Also here... BL1/BL2, BL5, BL6
 #502181  by Milesius

Thanks Alex!!! I am planning to start a Model Railroad Club in Central NJ on the Bel Del. I had a couple of flyers out to see if there was any interest. I have about 6 people so far and wanted to see if anyone would be interested in seeing such a club formed. I would like to have a staging yard in Morrisville PA, represent Trenton yard, most of the small towns up to P-Burg, and have interchanges with the Reading, Lehigh Valley, Central Railroad of New Jersey, Lehigh New England, Lehigh Husdon River, and the Delaware Lackawanna and Western in two spots. I would like to model the Hudson River yard north of P-Burg, G-Tower, town of Belvadere, and the Delaware River crossing on the old DL&W old Mainline to Stroudsburg PA.
 #879382  by Milesius

Hello all. Ok it's been almost 3 years since this post began and here is a update. I did a article for The Atlas Modeler not too long ago http://www.atlasrr.com/AtlasModeler/AtlasModeler008.pdf and now I have a house I plan on building my layout soon. I still looking for more photos, maps, and identifying what kind of trains came from and what road power did they use. If anyone has anything let me know.