Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #152725  by John Pritz

Last night while returning to Norristown on the R6 I noted a railroad bridge next to the Blue Route Highway.
Can someone advise me which branch this was.
I know it is not the Morrisville line
Thanks

#152737  by JimBoylan

If single track sharing with motor vehicles, it's the Upper Merion & Plymouth RR.

#152748  by PARailWiz

There's a rail bridge right next to the turnpike which is part of the Trenton Cut-off, and there's one about halfway between the turnpike and blue route which is the Upper Merion and Plymouth RR. I don't know of any rail bridge right next to the blue route there.
 #152805  by John Pritz

John Pritz wrote:Last night while returning to Norristown on the R6 I noted a railroad bridge next to the Blue Route Highway.
Can someone advise me which branch this was.
I know it is not the Morrisville line
Thanks
Must be The Merion and Plymouth RR !

#152809  by Urban D Kaye

The Upper Merion & Plymouth (now part of the PRL system) uses that bridge (formerly part of the Reading's Plymouth Branch, I believe) to connect from the steel mill to the RDG main across the river. Switchers from the mill occasionally can be seen switching the small chem plant along Rt 23 in West Conshohocken.

vintage PBNE SW9 & slug

vintage UMP NW2

#153091  by PARailWiz

The Upper Merion & Plymouth (now part of the PRL system) uses that bridge (formerly part of the Reading's Plymouth Branch, I believe)
That's how I always understood it.

#154152  by westernfalls

Urban D Kaye wrote:The Upper Merion & Plymouth (now part of the PRL system) uses that bridge (formerly part of the Reading's Plymouth Branch, I believe)
Disbelieve; the UM&P's bridge is not related to the Reading Company.

#154408  by Urban D Kaye

westernfalls wrote:
Urban D Kaye wrote:The Upper Merion & Plymouth (now part of the PRL system) uses that bridge (formerly part of the Reading's Plymouth Branch, I believe)
Disbelieve; the UM&P's bridge is not related to the Reading Company.
OK, then what is it? A post-RDG Conrail contrivance?

#154460  by AlexC

The Alan Wood Steel Company's "private" railroad was the UM & P. The plant was on both sides of the river. I believe the Pennsy and Reading served the east side, while only the Reading served the west side.

The UM&P served both. Hence the bridge.

Here's a topomap showing the steel mill.
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4437 ... ayer=DRG25

#154462  by Urban D Kaye

AlexC wrote:The Alan Wood Steel Company's "private" railroad was the UM & P. The plant was on both sides of the river. I believe the Pennsy and Reading served the east side, while only the Reading served the west side.

The UM&P served both. Hence the bridge.

Here's a topomap showing the steel mill.
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4437 ... ayer=DRG25
Thanks Alex. But are you saying that the UM&P or Alan Wood Steel built the bridge?

#154545  by JimBoylan

Allan Wood Steel owned the Upper Merion & Plymouth RR, so I don't know which (or a predecessor) built the bridge long before even Penn Central. UMP had at least 4 interchanges with other lines:
East side
Plymouth branch of RDG
Schuylkill Balley branch of PRR
West side
Trenton Cut-off of PRR via a long connection over River Rd. and up the hill
Old Main Line of RDG, possibly at 2 locations, both Swedeland and West Conshohocken

#180640  by Roundhouse Brat

I grew up almost literallt under in the shadow of the Trenton cutoff bridge on River Road in Bridgeport. We sometimes used it as a fishing spot on the Schuylkill. The RR Dicks would always chase us off though.