Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by moose2438

Well, first off, just would like to say hi to everyone...just to inform everyone of my interests, I'm more of the abandoned railroad fan...live in latrobe, Pa, about 150 feet north of the former Beatty-Donohue line, the one that included Carr's Tunnel. So always interested in that, plus other local lines.

Questions:

1.) Does anyone know anything about the Unity Sand & Stone Co.? The only thing I know about it is that it existed from 1908 to circa 1913. (Only knew this existed from the remnants left...can show pics if interested, have pics of most of the former main)

2.) Donohue Yard: Did this even exist? If so, where was this? I remember no place when I went back there a couple weeks ago where there could have been a yard.

3.) Tower AX. I know this is close to Carr's Tunnel, but which direction and approximately how far? (I know, that's stretching it, but...worth a shot)

And questions not dealing with the above line

Is there any possible way that I can access the Alexandria Branch's former ROW? I tried to pick it out from former Donohue wye (That's fun...I found it off of a map...but it basically non-existant now :( ) And can't trace it at all thru Twin Lakes...

Any help is appreciated...and if I can help you, that's a bonus!

Thanx,

Alix K.
moose2438

by NRGeep

Where was/is Carr's Tunnel? How long was it and was it double or single track?

by moose2438

NRGeep wrote:Where was/is Carr's Tunnel? How long was it and was it double or single track?
If you know the Donohue Road area, it's not that hard to locate. If you head north on Donohue Road, from Twin Lakes toward the entrance to East High Acres (not II, the original) you'll reach a "hump" between two hills. To your left will be a current railroad bridge. If you look to your right there, you'll be able to see the western portal. If you want to get closer, I'll suggest a different way, because I wouldn't reccomend getting close via Donohue Road, because there's some weird troll with a gun, it is rumored.

If you continue up the hill and cross the railroad bridge (it has green siding) make a right onto Buffenmeyer Road. Continue straight and cross the BLACK railroad bridge, and then keep an eye to your right. About 200 feet or so to your right will be a driveway-esque area. If you go into there and hike about a half-mile, you'll be able to find the old Pennsy ROW. When you find it (if you look to your left, you should be able to see grass in the distance (this would be the expansion of East High Acres II) make a right. Continue hiking another half mile and you'll run smack dab into the tunnel. No blockages, but the tunnel is full of water.

Along the way you'll be able to see the Unity Sand and Stone Co. (It's to your right as you're approaching the tunnel-there will be a couple large stone blocks, you can't miss em).

The tunnel's length? I honestly am not sure. It's long, though, compared to others.

And I believe it was double tracked at a time, since it used to be a part of the old Pennsy ROW until 1907, when the main was relocated and the section was used as part of the Alexandria Branch.

(If you're not familiar with the area, i might be able to get a map for ya)

by Nicolai3985

Check your Private Messages.

-Nick