Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #97101  by Matt Langworthy

When did Pennsy remove the line from PA to Rochester? I think it was done in stages 'cause a pre-PC map shows a shortline from Roch to the LV mainline, which Pennsy apparently used (via trackage rights)between Buffalo and Roch. What industries did the line serve?
 #97326  by eddiebear

For a good look at Rochester locate yourself a copy of (I think) June, 1947 TRAINS. It covers all roads serving Rochester, has a detailed map, describes the business and what facilities each road had in the city, operations, etc. You will not be disappointed. TRAINS at that time had the small format and some photos were small, but it is quite comprehensive.
 #97957  by Matt Langworthy

Thanks for the info. It's hard to know where to look sometimes, and the Roch-area history books tend to give short shrift to trains. When they do, it's usually passenger operations and not freight. If anyone knows when the line was removed, it would be appreciated.

#99916  by nydepot

The line was ripped up from Wadsworth Jct south to Hinsdale in 1963. Wadsworth Jct to Rochesgter was in place until 1971 and then in pieces after that. The least section was in from the EL interchange near downtown to Genesee Jct. and the branch to Lincoln Park. One little piece is still left at Genesee Jct.

My book is about 2/3 written. I have compiled close to 400 customers on the line from the 1880s to the end of service. The maps will detail exactly where every customer was and what the cargo was (in and/or out-ounds) plus what year they were in place.

In its day, the line was a coal line, serving Rochester.

Charles
 #106240  by Matt Langworthy

Great! I can't wait to see your book! There are a few mentions of this line in a few books about Rochester, but the accounts are pretty brief. The authors of those books seemed more interested in canals than trains...

#106671  by WNYRailfan

All Chuck will need to do is post "MY NEW BOOK" on his existing station in NY state website.

As far as the old Genesee Valley Railroad...many people have written articles on it. I have a few articles from the original Genesee Valley Greenway Website.

The 1999 website is below:
http://www.netacc.net/~fogvg/home.html

and then the 2004 website:
http://www.fogvg.org/

I have hiked the old GVRR/PRR from Rochester south to Avon...not much left..a few abutments from RR bridges and a dam.

#107361  by nydepot

I will let everyone here know. Thanks. It's been more work than I ever thought and there have been a few times I was ready to just stop doing it but I've really loved working on it.

Charles

#109361  by bwparker1

Any idea how to find that 1947 Trains magazine article?

Brooks
 #109479  by Matt Langworthy

To find the article from a really old issue of Trains, try going to a train show. Some hobby shops also carry older issues of that mag and others- I think Despatch Junction (in East Rochester, NY) would be a good place to ask.

#109810  by nydepot

The article is interesting but as typical of any railroad history on Rochester, it talks about the NYC the most and the BR&P and gives the rest of the railroads less coverage. If you did a quick runthrough looking for the PRR info you might miss it.

Charles

#120724  by Matt Langworthy

nydepot wrote:The line was ripped up from Wadsworth Jct south to Hinsdale in 1963. Wadsworth Jct to Rochester was in place until 1971 and then in pieces after that. The least section was in from the EL interchange near downtown to Genesee Jct. and the branch to Lincoln Park. One little piece is still left at Genesee Jct.
I see that little piece occasionally when I visit Genesee Jct to 'fan LAL and CSX. The piece is a little stub that runs to a landfill(?) and 84 Lumber. There was a lumber car at the latter business last Fri (4/22) so the tracks still see some business.

#121682  by nydepot

The "landfill" is Hanson, a gravel business. Hanson is all over. The fill you see is their piles of debris they have scattered all over. They also have an undertrack unloader for hopper cars.

Charles
 #122130  by Matt Langworthy

Cool! I haven't walked over there very much, so that will have to be part of an upcoming trip to Genesee Jct...

#122918  by nydepot

There is also Lyell Metal in there. They ship scrap. Hanson and Lyell started as Conrail customers. 84 started under PRR.

The order from the West Shore north is Hanson, Lyell, 84 Lumber. If you walk it, Lyell has fencing around the track so you'll be way off the track to get around it. Also they have dogs wandering around.

Charles