Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #93229  by pablo

I'm looking for some information for a book that I'm writing. I would like to know if anyone has employee timetables that cover Mayville, NY interchange with the Jamestown, Westfield, and Northwestern interurban railroad. The dates I particularly need cover between 1904 and 1950.

This was an interurban that also ran freight, and at the early part of the years listed, used steam to interchange with the freight roads. Before too long, electric freight motors and occasional baggage trolley cars were used to bring in freight cars to Mayville.

The Mayville interchange was particularly important to the J-W, as it avoided a nasty grade between Westfield and Mayville. I have numerous pictures of Pennsy boxcars along the line, and the J-W received many cars of coal from the Pennsy starting in 1922.

The relationship between these two roads started very nasty, and eventually settled in to a nice working relationship by about 1915 or so, once a tower was built to protect the diamond at Mayville.

Any and all inofrmation that you can provide would be excellent. Thanks in advance.

Dave Becker