Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#1021769  by scoostraw

I'm familiar with how in March of 1972 Penn Central abruptly ended Chatham passenger service in the middle of the day, stranding passengers returning from NY at Dover Plains (MTA territory).

What I'm curious about is - does anyone here know who the crew was that day? Did the railroad taxi them back to Chatham? How many passengers were on board? Anyone know any of the individuals involved - and how they managed to return to their stations of origin?

This is a much-talked-about event, but I have never seen these specifics described. It was most definitely a tragic and fateful day for the Harlem.
 #1023782  by Tommy Meehan

I'll have to look this up but a discussion on another group -- which included several former Harlem Line railroaders -- provided the information, at least about the crew

I believe the crew was Chatham-based and were returned by taxi but I'll have to check.
 #1023792  by scoostraw

Tommy Meehan wrote:I'll have to look this up but a discussion on another group -- which included several former Harlem Line railroaders -- provided the information, at least about the crew

I believe the crew was Chatham-based and were returned by taxi but I'll have to check.
That would be great Tommy. Yes it would make sense that they were Chatham based.