Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#739016  by Station Aficionado

PC abandoned (along witb a lot of other lines) the ex-PRR Northern Centrail route between just north of Baltimore (Timonium, I believe) and York, PA on account of damage from Hurricane Agnes in 1972. I'm curious about a couple of points. First, just how extensive was the damage? I know that PC was not in a condition to think about repairing much of anything, but I wonder whether a financially stronger carrier might have restored the line. Which brings me to my second and third questions: How much on-line business was there pre-abandonment, and how much traffic moved on the line pre-abandonment? I know the "Port Road" provides a very similar shortcut from Harrisburg to Baltimore, and that passenger service on the Northern Central ended with the coming of Amtrak. I'm just curious whether there would have been any reason to save the Northern Central as a though-route.

(I'm sorry if this topic has already been addressed. I did a quick search, and didn't see anything.)
 #739133  by JimBoylan

The double track stone arch bridge in Pennsylvania just North of Howard Tunnel was damaged on the side under the 1 remaining track. There was also flood damage South of New Freedom, Pa., probably in Maryland.