Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#627712  by pennsenseless

Anyone know of the particulars of this story? Apparently a whole PC train of welded rail got away on the east slope coming out of Gallitzen tunnel? How'd you like to be in the cab of that one.
 #628157  by Big Bri

It hit speeds in excess of 70mph coming around Horseshoe Curve!
The ONLY thing that saved that train from wrecking was the low center of gravity due to the flat cars.

To this day I would love to know what Power was on that train? Those engines would be Famous!

I also have heard that Conrail tested an Intentional "runaway" train down the East slope in the 80's.

Bri
 #628173  by pennsenseless

Can you imagine being in the cab of that, on the outermost track? (I dont know which track the rail train was on, but if it was the outermost on the ledge of sugar run gap...gulp)

After that, and changing their drawers, that crew mustve headed to the nearest altoona watering hole for a couple of stiff ones.

Thats generally what ive heard as well bri. Somebody somewhere must know more about this incident, maybe even one of the crew