Railroad Forums 

• For What It's Worth... NYW&S and PC to merge?

• Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#355452  by lvrr325

A vintage copy of Railroad magazine yielded this trivia(l) tidbit:

(June, 1969): After spending $300,000 in legal fees in a vain attempt to clear up the matter, the New York Susquehanna & Western has finally decided it doesn't want to join the Penn Central system - the preliminary cost is too high. Some time ago, when the ICC approved the merger of the Pennsy and New York Central, it ordered that the Susquehanna be included in the system; but there was a disagreement over the purchase price of the 60-mile line, and the legal fees just went down the drain.

First time I've ever heard that one - if you're looking for the issue, look for a couple of babes climbing the steps of a coach - that was the whole reason I picked the issue up to begin with, I had a spot to hang it up like a poster -

#355698  by washingtonsecondary

From what I understand, Irving Maidman wanted to sell the entire line to PC for 5 million dollars. The PC only needed the section from Little Ferry Yard to Marion so it could better facilitate movement in the area. Maidmen wanted to unload the whole property but PC wouldn't budge, and its a good thing they didn't take it, or the whole property would probably be a rail trail today.

Ironically, the DO picked up the entire property for 5 Million dollars 11 years later.

#356132  by lvrr325

Don't understand why this was moved, but nice hatchet job on the title.

#356513  by BlockLine_4111

washingtonsecondary wrote:Maidmen wanted to unload the whole property but PC wouldn't budge, and its a good thing they didn't take it, or the whole property would probably be a rail trail today.

I was going to say the same thing.
washingtonsecondary wrote:Ironically, the DO picked up the entire property for 5 Million dollars 11 years later.

If not for the DO the route west of Butler along with all of the L&HR (and perhaps the Tier between PJ and Bingo) would probably be a rail trail today.