Railroad Forums 

• Take the Central to the Fair!

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1542611  by charlesriverbranch

I'm looking at a New York Central timetable (Form 1001) dated April 25, 1965.

The railroad advertises two daily trains, Numbers 50/51 and Numbers 61/46, between New York and Montreal, even though New York Central didn't own any track north of Albany, where these trains ran as Delaware and Hudson trains #34/35 and #9/10. Apparently these trains ran with NYC equipment, even though most of their route was D&H.

They also ran train #303/304, the James Whitcomb Riley, which seems to have run most of its route as Chesapeake and Ohio #1/4, between Chicago and Virginia via Cincinnati. In a later timetable dated December 3, 1967, this train is still listed as a named train, while all the other NYC trains have only numbers. I'm guessing it was a C&O train running on NYC rails between Cincinnati and Chicago; am I right?
 #1542701  by edbear

The Riley was an NYC train between Chicago and Cincinnati. It carried a through sleeper from Chicago to the Tidewater Virginia via the C & O from Cincinnati. A single car, not a through train. The Riley was the only named train left on the NYC after 12/3/1967.