Railroad Forums 

• Early to mid 50s High Rail Automobile

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1480382  by Roger Hensley

High Rail Automobile sits by an Alco FA.
Location Unknown
Photographer Unknown
Photo supplied by Wayne Koch
Attachments:
(8.8 KiB) Downloaded 3893 times
 #1484678  by rlsteam

I took this photo of president's car M-100 (a 1954 Chrysler Imperial) at Pittsfield, Mass. in August 1955. Possibly Alfred Perlman was in the car at the time.
Attachments:
m100.jpg
m100.jpg (130.83 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
 #1484712  by Allen Hazen

Discrete oval New York Centrallogo on the passenger door, and (below the chrome strip) lettering I can't quite make out but which probably says "M-100." But no tiger-stripes on the ends: clearly a non-standard color scheme for an M-series car! (Grin!)
Thanks, both of you, for the images.
 #1484804  by BR&P

rlsteam wrote:Discrete: "apart or detached from others; separate; distinct." I think that was the right word.
Discreet: "Intentionally unobtrusive" A small dark oval on a large dark car could certainly be considered discreet, as well.
 #1484806  by BR&P

rlsteam wrote:I took this photo of president's car M-100 (a 1954 Chrysler Imperial) at Pittsfield, Mass. in August 1955. Possibly Alfred Perlman was in the car at the time.
Almost certainly. In Borntrager's book 'keeping The Railroad Running", he states "In mid-August [1955] Mr. Perlman and I again took a trip on that auto rail car from New York to Chicago. We stopped in all the yards in route."

While Pittsfield is not on the NYC-Chicago main line, it's quite logical that they covered the B&A as a side trip as well.