Railroad Forums 

• Putnam Division passenger service

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1391138  by TCurtin

I notice on the 1958 timetable posted previously on this thread that Kitchawan (between Millwood and Croton Lake) is no longer a stop.

You know, the stations on the Put took a long time to vanish after cessation of service, but today I believe only the following are left: Yorktown, Elmsford, Lake Mahopac, Briarcliff. Briarcliff is getting a whole lot less recognizable since the addition was built, but we can be grateful it's in good shape and likely to remain so.
 #1391698  by Otto Vondrak

Tilly Foster station also survives, on private property, moved inside perimeter of a junk yard off Old Mine Road, if I remember correctly.

The freight houses at Lake Mahopac and Baldwin Place survive as well.

-otto-
 #1512386  by Jeff Smith

I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it. Why did the Putnam Division NOT run into Grand Central? In early days it ran over the later elevated bridge to 155th St connecting the 9th Avenue El to the Jerome Avenue IRT. Not exactly midtown, but still Manhattan.
 #1512414  by ExCon90

I've read or heard that the NYC Hudson Division union locals would not allow the ex-New York & Northern locals to operate into GCT; in addition, an engine change would have been necessary, probably somewhere awkward wherever they might have done it. Probably not worth doing in any case because of the proximity of the Hudson and Harlem routes on either side.