Railroad Forums 

• Crook in Track #1, Teaneck NJ

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1081702  by CPSK

Hi;
This may sound like a stupid question, but it has been bugging me forever...
On the CSX River sub in Teaneck NJ, track 1 (track closest Palisade ave):
There is a little "squiggle" in the track alignment around the area of State Street bridge (where the old W. Englewood station used to be).
It has been this way forever, even back when the line was Penn Central.
Can someone please tell me why this crook in the alignment exists?
It's not an issue for CSX, but I am just curious, and it bothers me, because I expect class 1 rr's to be perfect... ha ha.

Of course, this little squiggle isn't much compared to the one south of the Fort Montgomery tunnel after the track comes across the bridge over Popolopen creek. And there are surely others... so why doesn't CSX straighten them out? Couldn't speed be increased if the track alignment was better?

Thanks

CP
 #1081729  by charlie6017

Is there a way that you could post a picture of this alignment? It might help those who aren't familiar with the area and you may
get a good answer more quickly.

Thanks,
Charlie
 #1081790  by CPSK

charlie6017 wrote:Is there a way that you could post a picture of this alignment? It might help those who aren't familiar with the area and you may
get a good answer more quickly.

Thanks,
Charlie
Yes. I'll get a photo within the next couple days. I can take it with a tele from the foot bridge.

CP
 #1084473  by CPSK

Here are a couple of photos of the "squiggle" in track 1 on the CSX River sub, Teaneck NJ
The location is approximately where the old West Englewood station once stood.
This track was a dilapidated passing siding during Penn Central days, restored by Conrail (as a passing track), then converted to track 1 of the main between CP10 in Bergenfield and CP 3 in North Bergen.
The left track is main track 2, which was the original main track, and the middle track is a passing track that runs between CP10 and CP7.

Photo taken from foot bridge approx 0.5mi south of the squiggle, lens: 70mm
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp33 ... b9954f.jpg

Photo taken from same location at 300mm.
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp33 ... 45864d.jpg

The bridge in the shot is State st, Teaneck, NJ.
The small structure to the right of the squiggle is the pedestrian underpass.

CP
 #1084500  by charlie6017

Thanks for grabbing photos of this...........pretty weird!

That's nothing like I was imagining, maybe Noel will see this and could add insight. I
find this pretty strange and haven't seen anything like this up in Western New York.

Sorry I can't help,
Charlie
 #1084510  by frrc

Maybe an underground utility line, noticed a blue post on the left side of the photo, and on the right side, what appears to be a post of bricks or something ?

JoeF
 #1084617  by CPSK

Yes, it has been there from Pc days. That's what has me mystified. The track has been re-laid enough times since then that one would think the kink would have been straightened.
What looks like a pile of bricks on the right side is the portal of the walkway that goes under the tracks there. That hasn't changed in all the years I have lived here.
The blue post on the left side is probably a buried AT&T line, as i know there is an underground fiber optic line running along the ROW.

Hey... maybe it's a "speed bump"... ha ha.
I believe the track speed on that track is only 40, compared to 50 for the main track 2 (the left most track).

CPSK
 #1084840  by charlie6017

You know, I'm going to move this to the New York Central forum (leaving a shadow topic here) to see if
some of the folks there know why this is aligned as it is. If it was there in Penn Central, I'm sure it was
in NYC days as well. Maybe we can get some kind of answer!

Charlie
 #1085002  by chnhrr

I don’t know if this was a survey bust where they had to compensate for the elevation of a new track layout not meeting the height of the existing track layout. Could there have been also an exiting switch which had been removed along time ago, but the existing track alignment was only adjusted at the squiggle location to save on expenses?
 #1085113  by mackdave

The bend in the track goes back to the steam era. There was a water crane (column) located between track 1 (removed) and track 3 (existing) for westbound engines about to pull the Bergenfield/Dumont grade. There is a photo of an O&W westbound F-3 at West Englewood taken from the bridge that shows the crane. If I can find it I'll see if I can get it posted.
 #1085191  by Statkowski

How about sending a picture of the wiggle to either the Head Cheese for that particular section of the railroad. I did such for a rail dip near my house. The road's General Manager was quite appreciative (nobody had complained about it), and put it on his to-do list of things to fix. As I mentioned in my letter to him, the dip was a potential problem. One picture can be worth a thousand words.

This is former PRR trackage, but NYC had trackage rights (and operated most of the trains).
 #1085207  by mackdave

Here's the photo I mentioned, it really doesn't show the water column, but you can see a steam loco sitting at it, probably taking water. Note the steam plume is white (minimal/no firing, blower on) and not trailing the locomotive-not moving. I've another pic somewhere that shows it better..... have to look more.

Dave Mackay
Modeling the River Division between MP 12 & 14
Attachments:
503 W. Englewood.jpg
503 W. Englewood.jpg (68.58 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
 #1085214  by pswag115

I run over that daily and just assumed it was there to allow for small amounts of temp. compensation of the rail in areas that are prone to heat damage, there are areas like this at quite a few places on the River Line. I have no idea of the official reason, just my guess.
 #1085496  by Backshophoss

There would be "crooks/kinks" in the track to avoid water columns,signal masts, dwarf signals etc.
Sometimes the track dept would replace the track after the reason was removed or otherwise just
leave the track alone if it was a siding,spur,or "running" track.