Railroad Forums 

• Noel Weaver's Collection and Memorial

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1510592  by ut-1

I am saddened to learn of Noel's passing. His posts were always informative, always gentlemanly. He often offered kind words for some of the videos I've posted here. I too will miss him.
 #1510839  by mohawkrailfan

Whenever I scanned a thread and saw Mr. Weaver's name my attention perked up because I associated him with good stories and smart opinions.
 #1511840  by PortKent

I've been in contact with Noel's sister Serita and she wanted me to pass on the following information:
She has enjoyed reading the topic on Noel's passing and posts by Noel on this forum.
Noel's railroad collection has gone to Brian Gallagher, an Amtrak engineer, in the Albany, NY area. The cat was adopted by another resident of his retirement community, The Preserve at Palm-Aire, in Pompano Beach.
A graveside service will be held on a date yet to be determined in the early fall at Hillside Cemetery in Torrington, CT. All are welcome.
Contributions in his memory should be made to the New Haven Railroad Historical and Technical Association.
 #1511946  by Gilbert B Norman

Thank you, Mr. Port Kent, for reaching out to Noel's Sister; I think it had to be uplifting to know of the many friends he had out there in cyberland - and including this one, who had the honor to know him face to face.

That his extensive collection will be safeguarded by one who knows its value is indeed welcome news.

That Mikey can remain where he has come to know as home is also gratifying.

I guess the family has chosen not to prepare an obituary. While Noel certainly lived an intetrsting life -.and on his terms, the family's decision should be respected.

Again, many thanks. I'll miss Noel.
 #1512143  by gokeefe

Although I never had the privilege of meeting him in person I was fortunate to correspond and converse with Noel over the years here at Railroad.net. I am deeply grateful for his contributions and insight. It pleases me to think he lived to see "brighter" days for passenger rail. Near the end he would have seen that his craft was rising anew. "125 to engineer ... Clear ahead"
 #1512191  by Ridgefielder

I'm so sad to hear of Mr. Weaver's passing. I deeply regret never having met him in person. My condolences to his family. And in the words of the old hymn:

"As you roll across the trestle
Spanning Jordan's swelling tide
You behold the Union Depot
Into which your train will glide
There you'll meet the Superintendent
God the Father, God the Son
With the hearty, joyous, plaudit
Weary pilgrim, welcome home!"

Rest in peace, sir.
 #1512409  by JimBoylan

I also found his posts interesting and informative, although I sometimes confused them with Mr. Weaver's, as both authors' posts were sometimes influenced by their railroad employment.
 #1512432  by NHV 669

Although I live 1500 miles from Central Florida, I followed the Brightline (now Virgin) forum for quite a while because of these two industry veterans. The back and forth between Mr. Norman and Mr. Weaver was entertaining, but of course, highly informative for an outsider like myself. Noel was certainly passionate about his career, may his knowledge forever serve as a learning tool for those of us not fortunate to live during the good old days.
 #1512678  by PRRTechFan

...I've been away from Railroad.net for a while, and was stunned and saddened to hear of Noel Weaver's passing. An enormous source of railroad information and a gentlemen; I will sorely miss him. Although I never met him personally, I was pleased to make his acquaintance through these forums. Dear Lord... please take good care of Noel Weaver!
 #1513280  by AgentSkelly

I’ve been away too and aww jeez...that’s very sad to hear.

Mr Weaver was one of the greats that could in fact reinvent the wheel.
 #1513732  by Traingeek3629

I've been away for a while as well...when I came back I was truly saddened to hear this. Noel was always very well-spoken and gentlemanly, and he was a true wealth of knowledge. Rest in peace.
 #1513943  by jbvb

I just noticed this; I greatly respected Noel's knowledge and clarity of observation and thought. I'm glad to hear that what could be passed on has been, thanks to all involved. RIP.