Railroad Forums 

• Noel Weaver's Collection and Memorial

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1509634  by njtmnrrbuff

Very sorry to hear about Noel. I never met him in person but I have spoken to him many times on the forums. He was very knowledgeable about trains and most importantly, a great person.
 #1509647  by MattW

Rest in peace Mr. Weaver. I never really got to know you, but I always respected your great wealth of knowledge.
 #1509669  by ExCon90

I'm one of the multitude who looked forward to his posts but never got to meet him. He was a great source of information, and you knew you were getting it from one who was there. I can't help thinking of a quotation I once read: "When an old person dies it's like a library burned down." R. I. P.
 #1509698  by tahawus84

Very sad. I never met him but I have seen him on this board since I signed up. He knowledge was amazing. I will miss him. RIP
 #1509734  by MEC407

Mr. Weaver was a pillar of the RAILROAD.NET community. He generously schooled me on a number of topics, even when I "got his Irish up" (his words).

From one Irishman to another: Until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand.
 #1509876  by CVRA7

Noel would often stop by and visit me when I was at the Berlin CT station while on his annual trip from Florida to CT and NY. We had many interesting and informative conversations during these get-togethers. Another visit of his that I remember very well was at the Railroad Museum of New England's Naugatuck RR, when former New Haven RS3 529 was operating. I was engineer that day and after the scheduled trains were done I got permission to take 529 light engine south to Highland Jct at the north end of Waterbury - I was running and Noel was in the cab with me, and our mission was to locate the site where the Highland Jct tower once stood. Of course I offered Noel, who was an RMNE member, "the seat" so he got to run a former New Haven engine one more time. Maybe that was the final time he ran a locomotive - if it was it was an appropriate loco on an appropriate railroad line for him.
 #1509898  by Otto Vondrak

CVRA7 wrote:Another visit of his that I remember very well was at the Railroad Museum of New England's Naugatuck RR, when former New Haven RS3 529 was operating. I was engineer that day and after the scheduled trains were done I got permission to take 529 light engine south to Highland Jct at the north end of Waterbury - I was running and Noel was in the cab with me, and our mission was to locate the site where the Highland Jct tower once stood. Of course I offered Noel, who was an RMNE member, "the seat" so he got to run a former New Haven engine one more time. Maybe that was the final time he ran a locomotive - if it was it was an appropriate loco on an appropriate railroad line for him.
^^ This.
 #1509984  by oamundsen

Having grown up next to the NYNH&H 4 track main line in southern Connecticut, commuted to high school on NH trains, commuted to Boston from Stamford on the NH and later commuted to grad school in NYC on NH trains, (and I even had a NH charge card back before charge cards became common), I really had a grand time reading posts by Noel. We had a number of exchanges regarding questions of particular trains and I found his encyclopedic memory of all things NHRR to be astonishing, what a great loss for all of us. Clear signals for you Noel.
 #1510216  by Bobby S

Very sorry news. He answered many of my questions over the years on numerous topics. A wealth of “old school” knowledge. He will be missed, RIP and Thank You!
 #1510327  by slchub

OH what sad news! He has been a great contributor for the last 15 years or so.
 #1510354  by Zeke

Have a great deal of respect for a man that puts in 41 years on an engine. Truly a master of the craft. He will be missed is a understatement. Rest in Peace Noel you earned it.