Railroad Forums 

• Central New England visibility?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1508035  by Allen Hazen

The Central New England was, by the 1920s, pretty much a "paper" railroad, no? I believe it was finally wound up as a corporation around the end of the 1920s.
Still, early 20th c. public timetables (etc) seem to have recognized its "technical" existence: the New Haven system was advertised as "New Haven Railroad and Central New England Lines."
Was (some, much, all)rolling stock lettered for the CNE in its later days?
(I'd love either corrections to or further details on the first three sentences, as well as an answer to the final question.)
 #1508224  by TomNelligan

The CNE was formally merged into the NH in 1927 and following that transaction it's locomotives were generally relettered New Haven. A few ex-CNE steamers survived into the 1940s but met their end as the NH dieselized. I would guess that some CNE rolling stock survived well past the merger as well.
 #1508245  by Allen Hazen

Tom Nelligan--
Thank you! Given that repainting boxcars is seldom a first priority after a merger, I'm sure rolling stock still lettered for CNE could have been spotted for years after the merger!
 #1508281  by ExCon90

Hard to guess how many cars were even on home rails on the date of the merger and how long it took them to get home--and as you say, repainting would not have been a priority when they did get home.