Railroad Forums 

• Port Chester & Danbury

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1324973  by Ridgefielder

All- I posted this on the New England forum, got nada; tried to move it over to this one but somehow post the recent outage I can't seem to edit my posts. Anyway: I found a page from "Belcher Hyde's Atlas of Fairfield and Westchester County," dated 1908, that shows property-level detail across Ridgefield and North Salem. The page only shows roughly the northwest 1/3 of the Town of Ridgefield, starting from around the intersection of East Ridge and Prospect St.

One thing shown, though is the "Proposed Port Chester & Danbury Railroad." The line comes into town through the valley between High Ridge and West Mountain, crosses North Salem Rd. just north of the end of Main St., then runs parallel with Danbury Road toward Sugar Hollow. The extant Ridgefield Branch goes into a wye where it crosses Grove St., with one leg going to the existing station on Prospect St. and the other heading north, crossing Danbury Road and joining the new line roughly in the vicinity of today's Copps Hill Plaza shopping center.

Anyone know anything about this? The route looks like the one the Westchester Northern was planning to take through R'field, but I thought the WN was meant as an extension of the White Plains line of the NYW&B, not the Port Chester Extension.

Thought I knew most the details of the RR history of my hometown- guess not!
 #1325100  by Ridgefielder

Statkowski wrote:Incorporated, then unincorporated, then incorporated again for a different railroad.

You can follow the entire planned routing on this UConn site: http://magic.lib.uconn.edu/mash_up/nynhhrr_index.html
Very cool site!

But... What was the point? The New Haven already had good route from Port Chester to Danbury via South Norwalk. Why build a duplicate line through rough country and over the highest ground in SW Connecticut?
 #1325133  by Statkowski

Politics? The existing line ran through Connecticut. The new line would bypass Connecticut. Sends a message to offending politicians, "Be nice or I'll take my toys and play elsewhere."