Railroad Forums 

• Coal Trains in 100 Degrees

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1056840  by Denver Dude

Here in Denver I saw today BNSF loaded coal trains grinding south in some pretty hot weather - it's around 100. The prime movers and other on-board equipment generate a lot of heat in all weather, of course.

Does this kind of heat present any special challenges to the engine and other equipment?
 #1057129  by Desertdweller

Denver Dude,

I've run most of the late-model units on coal trains, and do not recall hot days having any effect on them. They seem to have been engineered to withstand high ambient temps.

Les
 #1057137  by toolmaker

Would there be track based speed restrictions while running in those temperatures? I know they do here in the Eastern U.S..
 #1057170  by Allen Hazen

Re: Desertdweller--
Modern North American locomotives are engineered for the temperatures they are likely to encounter in North America. Run them somewhere really hot-- like the Pilbara iron ore mining region in northwestern Australia-- and they would probably have a bit of difficulty. There are several ore-hauling railroads in that region that operate big, American-style, power (up to GE AC6000), and their units are often modified with extra cooling capacity. One company bought 4400 hp GE locomotives (I forget whether they were C44-9, AC44, or ES) on 76-foot platforms with a gigantic radiator compartment that looked like that on an AC6000.
 #1057376  by Desertdweller

Gary,

Yes, speed restrictions based on track are common. The problem is greatest with continuous welded rail: sun kinks.

Allen,

Increased cooling capacity for extra-high temps makes sense.

The challenge in North American operations is that temps fluctuate so greatly. The same territory that can experience 115F at one time of year might experience -50F at others. I have also seen Class One main lines shut down on account of blowing sand. The same locomotive fleet has to contend with all of this.

Les