Railroad Forums 

• Real World "Kitbashed" Locomotives

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1034001  by scottychaos

CorenDirebrew wrote:Conrail Ballast express had a wrecked C32-8 and replaced it with a New Cab that isnt round and it like the Modern ge standard cabs. Now the unit is disposed by ns
cool! never heard of that one..
I loved the C32-8's..(and the C39-8's)
the "humpbacks"..so ugly they were cool..
they were among my favorite Conrail locomotives of the 80's..
I googled the one with the new cab..It was CR 6619, wrecked on June 4, 1998 at Ridgeway, OH.

1988 (original cab)
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=129515

1997, now in Ballast Express paint, but still with original cab:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=155821

1998, wrecked
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=147180

year 2000, as CSX 7499, with the new cab:
http://www.trainshooter.rrpicturearchiv ... ?id=951639

wow..its hard to make a C32-8 even uglier! ;)
but that new cab achieved it..

Thats an interesting new cab..doesnt *quite* look like a regular -8 or -9 "standard" cab..
the number boards are weird..those are the same style numberboards from the original C32-8 cab,
but they dont look like the numberboards seen on any other -8 or -9 standard cab..(apart from the "round roof" C32-8 and C39-8)

Looks like they might have kept everything from the original cab except the roof..
straightened out some sheet metal, kept the original number boards, cab sides and windows, but grafted on a new roof?
thats just a guess..
but just for comparison, here is a "normal" C40-8 cab:
http://tinyurl.com/dxzhu93

Scot
 #1034204  by Allen Hazen

Scot--
Thank you for those links! Your guesses about how Conrail made the new cab... Certainly the number-board/headlight assembly looks smaller than that on a "standard" C40-8 cab, so you may well be right.
 #1034710  by Gadfly

No harm meant, but as a non-railfan and a retired railroader, I am mystified by this concern for what "cab" is on a particular engine. :) What does it matter? I just don't understand..........................................

GF
 #1034727  by scottychaos

Gadfly wrote:No harm meant, but as a non-railfan and a retired railroader, I am mystified by this concern for what "cab" is on a particular engine. :) What does it matter? I just don't understand..........................................

GF
No harm meant, but as a non-railfan, why are you even here then? ;)

Why are we interested in these cabs?
same reason we are interested in paint schemes, and locomotive models, and how to tell a GP38 from a GP40, and what year the last PRR T1 was scrapped, and what year that remote branch line was pulled up, and what color the passenger cars were for the 1896 edition of the Black Diamond Express, and exactly what shade PRR Brunswick green was, and if the Whirlpool bridge over the Niagara River is going to be abandoned, and why Dolye chose the NKP paintscheme for his Alco PA, and are how many U23B's are in Texas at the moment, and old signal bridges, and the last Erie semaphore, and what might happen to the D&H sharks, and what happened to that Shark B-unit, and abandoned steam locomotives in Maine, and where are the NS heritage units going to run, and those Rock Island Crandall cabs sure are weird, and check out the NS Admiral cabs, and FGLK U-boats had their noses chopped at some point, and WAG used to run a train pulled by a single F7A running backwards, because they couldnt turn it, with a crew member standing in the rear door, and the Amtrak Phase I heritage unit is in NY state today, and there is a Shawmut caboose in Angelica, NY and oh yeah, its interesting to see an unusual cab on a Conrail C32-8..and etc etc etc etc...thats just me! im sure other railfans can up with their own list that goes on forever..

Im mystified why you are mystified..you have been on this forum for 4 years, have made over 800 posts..
the truth is, you actually are not mystified at all..you understand railfans perfectly well, because you are one..even though you try to deny it.
you just felt like making a post to make fun of something you do yourself..
Gadfly wrote:There's an inaccuracy here. "Last 'mainline steam passenger engine built'"? You are forgetting NW 611 completed in May, 1950.

GF
busted! only a railfan would know that..
Unless you worked for N&W in 1950 and you only know that because you were a railroad employee then..otherwise, busted! ;)

Scot
 #1034836  by Gadfly

Duh, I KNEW it because I WORKED with 611; the damn thing was in our yards numerous times. I looked at it as I brought supplies to the engine, it stopped at the stations where I was working as agent, I handed up orders to it, was around it, IN it, rode ON it in the course of my job. It would only be natural to be curious about machinery such as this. I do NOT "railfan" in the sense you are putting it; I NEVER go near the railroad anymore. Yes, I frequent the board, I do as a retired employee. For me, I couldnt give a sh-- WHAT kind of cab they put on an engine. It was a curiousity as to why such would be so fascinating to anybody. I didn't mean a thing by it...I just don't get it, that's all. I saw THOUSANDS of trains while at NS, and couldn't care less if the engine cab was wooden. I just don't see it being a big deal, that's all. Sorry it aggravated you.

GF
 #1034855  by scottychaos

Im not aggravated in the least..
now im just bored with this discussion..
I tried to explain in what I thought was a humorous way that we all are interested in different things about railroads..
sorry you cant understand that reasoning and you remain perplexed and uptight..
oh well, makes no difference to me..carry on..

I think I will head over to a Nascar forum and berate people for being interested in mundane things like race car body styling..
because personally, I could care less about race car styling, and I feel like acting smug and superior to people who do..

Scot
 #1043673  by scottychaos

CorenDirebrew wrote:Hybrid SD70ACE with Std Cab? or New kitbashed locomotive
neither..
That is a Progress Rail model PR43C.
One of only two on NS.
They were rebuilt by Progress Rail from SD50's..a lot was done to them, including new "Caterpillar genset" engines,
which results in the heavily modified long hood.
The cabs look like they are probably their original SD50 cabs..

http://www.nsdash9.com/rosters/4000.html

Scot