Railroad Forums 

• Brake Handles.

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#975435  by kullervo

Aloha!

I am a train afficionado and a writer with a question about locomotive brake handles. My late father had two of these, one in metal and one in plastic. I don't know how he came by them. He told me that he had been told third-hand by Somedood that on certain trains these were removable, that the brakes were locked at the end of a journey and the handle taken away to prevent the train engine from being, what, trainjacked? I'd appreciate knowing if this was true or if the handles just appeared after replacement or scrapping of a locomotive. If they were removable, what sort of train might they be for? I appreciate your help.

Mahalo,

The biggest train fan on Kauai.
 #975922  by litz

I think you actually mean a "reverser" handle.

Brake handles are an integral part of the airbrake manifolds, and are not (so far as I know) removable.

Reverser handles, however, are removable, and are almost always (by rule) removed whenever a train is parked (in the jargon, "tied down"). They are also removed whenever "Red Zone" rules go into effect, when a crewmember calls to enter red-zone to work air-brake air, or do anything else under or in between railcars.

the engineer centers and removes the reverser handle to prevent the locomotive from moving.

The reverser handle does exactly what it sounds like : it sets the locomotive into Forward or Reverse mode (center/removed = neither direction).
 #975924  by kullervo

Perfect! Thank you! Just the information I needed, and right when I needed it. You have helped a writer solve a problem!

Mahalo!
 #975994  by DutchRailnut

Brake handles are removable be it 6R - 24Rl or 26r brake.
 #976516  by litz

N.P.!

(aside : I didn't know brake handles were removable ... never seen one actually removed ... reverser handles, though, are removed all the time as part of normal operating procedure)
 #982122  by Desertdweller

Both the train air (automatic) brake handle and the independent brake handle are removable, although this is seldom done in practice.

The reverser lever is easily removable when in the centered position.

There are different protocols used on different railroads to provide protection for a crew member going between cars. Personally, I have never heard of the practice of removing the reverser lever as part of this protection. Generally, "set and centered" means the air is set (always the independent, plus the automatic if necessary), and the reverser is moved to the centered position. If this is done, it will be impossible for the locomotive to move unintentionally.
Some railroads also require that the generator field switch be dropped to the "off" position. I have also heard of a railroad that, in addition to "set and centered" and dropping the field switch, the isolation switch must also be turned to the "isolate" position. This seems to me to be overkill.

The key element is that the ground man give an agreed-upon signal that he is going "in between", and that THE ENGINEER ACKNOWLEDGE IT before he goes into the danger zone. Again, the actual words used depends on the railroad. It could be "Red Zone"; "Going in between"; "making air", etc. Or, it could be an agreed-upon hand signal or lantern signal (Generally, a signal involving bringing hands together over the head, or a lantern being looped, ending with a motion toward the cars).
In the case of non-verbal communication, acknowledgement could be a short toot.

Of course, once this is in effect, the engineer must not move the train until the ground man declares himself "clear". If more than one person is working between cars, the engineer must receive a positive reply that all crew members are in the clear before moving.

Reverser levers are removed when securing a locomotive. Especially, if the cab is to be locked, the lever can be simply placed in a non-obvious location. Otherwise, the safe thing to do is take it with you. Most engineers carry a spare reverser lever with them, in case they encounter a unit without a lever.
Reverser levers are also removed when changing the controlling unit to another in the loco consist. Diesel locomotives cannot respond to a controlling unit in m.u. if the reverser lever on the receiving unit remains in place.

Les
 #982430  by litz

Desertdweller wrote:Some railroads also require that the generator field switch be dropped to the "off" position. I have also heard of a railroad that, in addition to "set and centered" and dropping the field switch, the isolation switch must also be turned to the "isolate" position. This seems to me to be overkill.

The key element is that the ground man give an agreed-upon signal that he is going "in between", and that THE ENGINEER ACKNOWLEDGE IT before he goes into the danger zone. Again, the actual words used depends on the railroad. It could be "Red Zone"; "Going in between"; "making air", etc. Or, it could be an agreed-upon hand signal or lantern signal (Generally, a signal involving bringing hands together over the head, or a lantern being looped, ending with a motion toward the cars).
When we were discussing this in rules class (our rules are a radio call w/ "Centered and Set" as the response) it was mentioned that there are railroads that actually require the engineer to stick both hands out the cab window, holding the reverser handle, so the person on the ground can visually SEE and verify it's been removed.

Maybe that's overkill ... but I can see the reasonsing : you can't be too careful, when making sure that train isn't going to move.

It will always win.
 #982492  by Desertdweller

Yes. I do believe that would qualify as overkill. The fact remains if the air is set and the reverser is centered, the cars aren't going to move. But a lot of rules are made by people who never have to follow them.

If that is the rule, you have to follow it. At worst, it will just take extra time, for no gain in safety. The problem I see with it is, often the locomotive cab is not in sight of the person on the ground. What if it is at night? Glow-in-the-dark reverser levers?

Les
 #983092  by Jtgshu

litz wrote:
Desertdweller wrote:Some railroads also require that the generator field switch be dropped to the "off" position. I have also heard of a railroad that, in addition to "set and centered" and dropping the field switch, the isolation switch must also be turned to the "isolate" position. This seems to me to be overkill.

When we were discussing this in rules class (our rules are a radio call w/ "Centered and Set" as the response) it was mentioned that there are railroads that actually require the engineer to stick both hands out the cab window, holding the reverser handle, so the person on the ground can visually SEE and verify it's been removed.

Maybe that's overkill ... but I can see the reasonsing : you can't be too careful, when making sure that train isn't going to move.

It will always win.
My RR calls it "3 step protection" and its 1) apply the brakes, 2) center reverser, and 3) gen field/engine run switches down.

We aren't required to put our hands out the window, but I do and i interlace my fingers as well, I also turn on the cab light as a reminder to myself in case im called on the radio or get up to use the toilet or something else that would require me to get up and move and disturb my sitting there with my hands out of the window......

Doing something else to help you as an engineer to remember that you have 3 step protection is important. Sometimes you can be sitting there for a LONG time while the crew or mechanical laces up a lot of cars or locos or they are having trouble with something - a stiff hose, a short hose, out of alignment couplers, etc. Also, if there are other crews working in the area or on the same radio channel its important as well because someone else might just say "okay to drop 3 step" and not identify their loco or job symbol. Naturally you are going to hear that and start to drop protection, while that wasn't your crew saying that. Of course, radio procedures were violated and the person saying that should have identified themselves, but never the less, any reminder for the engineer to remember to keep 3 step on until PROPERLY told to release it helps.

Its not unlike the game "mother may I?" - everyone knows the rules of the game, but every time someone eventually will "take a giant step forward" without proper permission!!!!!
 #983746  by Desertdweller

Oh, yes. "Three Step". I believe it was the Rail America railroads I worked on that used that expression.

If ever there was a rule that was "written in blood", that would be near the top of the list.

You touched on another thing that is very important. If the engineer is away from the radio for more than a few seconds, he needs to let the rest of the crew know.
One thing that has always given me chills is the inability to contact all of my crew members. The engineer has to know everyone is in the clear and accounted for before moving.

Once, I was delivering a train to a Class One division point yard and picking up another that had been made up for us there. An employee of the regional railroad I worked for (but worked out of a different crew terminal) happened to be driving through town and saw my crew working there. Without notifying me or anyone else, he took it upon himself to attach himself to my crew. Then he raised hell about me moving a train on him! No one knew he was even there. This was in direct violation of the rule that requires a job briefing of all crew members whenever anyone is added or deleted from the crew.

I know he was just trying to be helpful, but his action not only violated a rule, but it put him in danger of getting killed. The next day, he turned up again, wanted to be added to the crew. I sent him back to his terminal, and told his boss I would not have him on my crew, and why.

Les
 #984073  by 10more years

I think DutchRailnut had it right. The automatic brake valve handle can fairly easily be removed. There is a "handle off" position. The independent brake handle on older units could be removed also. I've seen some plastic automatic handles, although not recently. They always felt "funny" since they were so light and not as stiff as the metal ones.
 #984484  by Jtgshu

10more years wrote:I think DutchRailnut had it right. The automatic brake valve handle can fairly easily be removed. There is a "handle off" position. The independent brake handle on older units could be removed also. I've seen some plastic automatic handles, although not recently. They always felt "funny" since they were so light and not as stiff as the metal ones.
Well some are removable, some aren't - it seems like the newer electronic brake stands the handles aren't removeable. Even if they aren't removable, they will still have the "handle off" position
 #984509  by Desertdweller

Yes. You have to have the "handle off" position to put the unit in "trail".

The older (non-electronic) brake controls have the automatic brake handle held on by a square hole on the handle that fits over the valve shaft. Slap the underside of the brake lever with an upward whack of your hand and it will come right off.

Apparently, at one time the removal of the automatic brake handles when putting a unit in trail was common practice. Anybody know why?

Les
 #984587  by Jtgshu

Desertdweller wrote:Yes. You have to have the "handle off" position to put the unit in "trail".

The older (non-electronic) brake controls have the automatic brake handle held on by a square hole on the handle that fits over the valve shaft. Slap the underside of the brake lever with an upward whack of your hand and it will come right off.

Apparently, at one time the removal of the automatic brake handles when putting a unit in trail was common practice. Anybody know why?

Les
I always thought it was to prevent any accidental movement by someone riding in a trailing unit.

I work in commuter push pull operation and when I have a Geep, I remove ALL the handles - Auto brake, independent and reverser and put them in their holders on the side of the control stand. Its part of my "routine" and it works for me, so i don't forget to do anything while cutting out and changing ends (and save myself a trip back there to do something I forgot...)
 #985469  by CN_Hogger

Desertdweller wrote:Yes. You have to have the "handle off" position to put the unit in "trail".

Les
It's still common practice on the CN (old IC property), although having 26 brake equipped units in road service is becoming quite rare.