Railroad Forums 

• Paper Company Covered Hoppers

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#896734  by superior1980

I recently purchased a pair of models of ACF 55' covered hoppers painted for the Simpson Lee Paper Company. I have a question that I hope is a simple one. What would a paper company be shipping in a covered hopper? Thank you for your time!
 #897008  by Allen Hazen

I don't KNOW what paper companies ship in covered hoppers, but here's a guess: many kinds of paper contain, in addition to cellulose fibers, materials like chalk or china clay.
 #902077  by scharnhorst

Paper company's ship in Corn starch It gets mixed in with the wood pulp which makes the paper stiff. They also use Corn Starch when making cardboard and paper board. Its like an alternet to using Kaolin or Clay which are also other products used in making paper.
 #903697  by GOLDEN-ARM

ever see a 55' clay car? all the ones i've seen are the shorties (34 feet long) ps-2's. kaolin (white clay) is very heavy. a 55' car would weigh out long before it cubed out. waste of a car. thats why you see shorties.
 #903888  by scharnhorst

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:ever see a 55' clay car? all the ones i've seen are the shorties (34 feet long) ps-2's. kaolin (white clay) is very heavy. a 55' car would weigh out long before it cubed out. waste of a car. thats why you see shorties.
thats a good point and never would have gave that a thought on the larger cars not being able to handle powdered Clay.