Railroad Forums 

• I'm new

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#30605  by Hamjerms

I just started liking trains not too long ago, and I love watching them go by, especially the newer ones. I'm not really old or anything, but I would appreciate any help, thanks.

#30617  by Joe

Hi! Welcome to the world of trains!

1. What kind of help do you want?
2. What state is Farmingdale in? (Don't worry, we won't stalk you.)

OK. Don't go doing anything foolish near railroad tracks, for one thing. Watch out for the police if you plan on taking pictures. And HAVE FUN!
 #30695  by Komachi

Hamjerms,

Nice bit of philosophy there in your signature, made my day (bad day at work today...) :D

I, too, shall welcome you to our little corner of the virtual world. I hope you enjoy your time here. There are many here who are willing to help answer your questions. So sit back, browse the forums and contribute wherever and whenever you wish.

#30732  by TerryC

Also when watching trains wear earmuffs if necessary. You might look like a fool, but at least you will have you hearing.

http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/
Keep asking keep learning

#30876  by Railpac

Welcome!
In my own opinion railfanning is a great hobby, you will meet a ton of great people, not only online, but on your adventures as well. I'm sure you will make many new friends too. And, it all just goes to show, we're not wierd, just "interesting" :wink: :D .

#30878  by walt

And watch out---- you'll get hooked! :D
 #30994  by shortlinerailroader

It's always nice to see someone acquire an interest in the awsome world of railroads. I am 27 and have been infatuated with trains for 25 years. As my screen name implies, I work for a shortline RR and I enjoy my job. Of course there are easy and hard days, but all in all I like it.

Be VERY careful around railroad tracks. My own rule is that I stay off the right of way. If you visit a yard, it is best to go to the office and ask permission to watch/photograph trains. By and large, railroaders are a cordial group of people and if you extend common courtesy, it will be reciprocated. On a few occasions I spent longer visiting with the men inside the office than actually watching trains.

#32517  by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.