Railroad Forums 

• General Equipment Preservation Efforts

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1548512  by Pensyfan19

Sounds like a very interesting and helpful program! :-)

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... oduces-new
WAUKESHA, Wis. — After contributing nearly a quarter of a million dollars to historic railway projects across the nation in the past 20 years, Trains Magazine is proud to announce its new Trains Preservation Campaign program for 2021. The editors of Trains will select a railroad preservation project and act as champions for that cause in an effort to assist the organization to generate support through print and digital media coverage for a full year.

"We took the new program out for a test ride in 2020, by supporting Western Maryland Scenic Railroad's Chesapeake & Ohio 2-6-6-2 No. 1309 program," says Editor Jim Wrinn. "Since the launch of the campaign in the March issue with a goal of raising $100,000 in support, readers and foundations have donated more than $130,000.” The drive is continuing at www.wmsr.com/1309 with a new goal of $200,000.

“We have seen success by offering our leadership to a specific project that exceeds what Trains can contribute financially,” Wrinn says. “We can raise more money for a project by shining a light on a need and keeping the light there. We have a new model that works and one that will do more to get the job done.”

The Trains Preservation Award has paid to catalog archives, rebuild passenger cars, save the historic Chama, N.M., coaling tower, and bring steam and diesel locomotives back to life.

The Preservation Campaign selection period will follow the successful conclusion of the Steam the Last Baldwin campaign, expected to conclude this fall. Details will be announced on Trains News Wire and in the magazine.
 #1618731  by Jeff Smith

https://railfan.com/19-preservation-gra ... age-trust/

Railfan and Railroad posted a list of 19 grants awarded by the Emery Rail Heritage Trust. This topic will cover efforts to preserve equipment at the various historical, scenic, and tourist operations around the country.

Here's one near and dear to me. The car was part of their operation until the last few years. DRM is unfortunately a land-locked yard without access to external rails. I rode the car maybe 10 years ago while it was still operational.
2. Danbury Railway Museum: $12,000.00 to aid in rebuilding the engines of their former New Haven Budd Rail Diesel Car 32.
 #1618739  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:05 am Here's one near and dear to me. The car was part of their operation until the last few years. DRM is unfortunately a land-locked yard without access to external rails. I rode the car maybe 10 years ago while it was still operational.
You sure? Just some googling and map checking has DRM connected to the Providence and Worchester, which provides service to MetroNorth and Amtrak as a Class II.
 #1618760  by Jeff Smith

They’re behind a fence. Yes there’s a connection but they don’t operate beyond the fence. Housatonic (not P&W, which has overhead rights only) won’t let them operate on their rails to the North, East and West, and MNRR to the south. Nothing is stored operable. At one time they did support excursions, and used volunteer pilots from the two roads.
 #1618825  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:13 pm They’re behind a fence. Yes there’s a connection but they don’t operate beyond the fence. Housatonic (not P&W, which has overhead rights only) won’t let them operate on their rails to the North, East and West, and MNRR to the south. Nothing is stored operable. At one time they did support excursions, and used volunteer pilots from the two roads.
Essentially landlocked yard, but not the same as completely disconnected from the rail network.
 #1618829  by NaugyRR

With HRRC and the MTA as neighbors they might as well be lol. Look what the HRRC did to the BSRM...
 #1618847  by NaugyRR

I've always said running a Budd car to and from the Danbury Fair and the museum would be a nice little excursion
 #1618848  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Naugy, all I remember about the Great Danbury Fair was, circa '52, 6th and 7th grade being herded on to a school bus and being driven up torturous CT US7 from Riverside and dumped at the Fairgrounds.

Were those grounds along the Maybrook Line?
 #1618864  by Jeff Smith

NaugyRR wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:05 pm I've always said running a Budd car to and from the Danbury Fair and the museum would be a nice little excursion
I’d run it even further; there’s some nice scenery towards Brewster. It’s a shame that the line is severed by that bridge strike at 311? I think or you could take it to Hopewell. Of course that’s irrelevant since MNRR has filed for abandonment. I think that would be a popular ride.

Naugy does it so well; I’ve got “The Fugitive” tickets for the Parlor Car. For “North by Northwest” we sat in the Tavern Car.
 #1618880  by NaugyRR

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:27 pm Mr. Naugy, all I remember about the Great Danbury Fair was, circa '52, 6th and 7th grade being herded on to a school bus and being driven up torturous CT US7 from Riverside and dumped at the Fairgrounds.

Were those grounds along the Maybrook Line?
While my dad (born in 1960) remembers the fair, I (born in 1991) have always known it as the mall. Of course you going to school in Kent know that for someone like me who lived in Sharon, that a trip to the Danbury Fair Mall was like going to the BIG CITY haha. And Route 7 still has some not so great portions, although I'm sure much better than what you experienced at the time.

The Maybrook kinda sorta butts up against the mall parking lot on the north side, but there is a river/swamp between the ROW and the lot. Coincidentally this parking lot floods out regularly, I'm not sure why lol.

The closest it gets is Segar Street (which is an excellent back entrance to the mall btw), and for the life of me I could have sworn there was an old sign for the DRM on the crossing cabinet.

Once you cross the ROW and the river though you can see how far the tracks start to turn north.
Jeff Smith wrote:
NaugyRR wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:05 pm I've always said running a Budd car to and from the Danbury Fair and the museum would be a nice little excursion
I’d run it even further; there’s some nice scenery towards Brewster. It’s a shame that the line is severed by that bridge strike at 311? I think or you could take it to Hopewell. Of course that’s irrelevant since MNRR has filed for abandonment. I think that would be a popular ride.

Naugy does it so well; I’ve got “The Fugitive” tickets for the Parlor Car. For “North by Northwest” we sat in the Tavern Car.
Agreed, but at least they have the yard limits to putz around in. I'm glad they got the grant for the RDC though. I think the last time I rode in it was while I was in middle school.

The Naugy is fortunate that it has room for a lengthy scenic excursion and good local business neighbors like Fascias. Now while we're on the subject of preservation, I would love to see 529 up and running again.
 #1618884  by Jeff Smith

I made a small donation to the 529 fund when I got my tickets. Also renewed my membership ($100 level).

The ride to Fascia’s is very scenic. I can’t remember what Orion said is the parlor car running those trips, or just the evening trips to Torrington?

Maybe the Fair rides could happen if CT gets the Brewster service running.
 #1618888  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Naugy, be it assured that "back in my day", there was no portion of US7 divided highway. You drove right through downtown Danbury.

My Mother and Father's route to SKS (Parent's Weekend, start and end of School year, otherwise it was 141 Freedom Train or 144 Prison Train making its special stop @ Woodrow) was NY22. Such was hardly as built up back in 56-61 as it is today.
 #1618909  by NaugyRR

Yeah, not too far from home for them either lol