Railroad Forums 

• Climate control air ride car

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1409506  by Tbstramo

Hi All,

First post here. I am researching the types of climate control cars available. My business is shipping fine art and antiques. Our warehouse has an active track at our rear door. Got me wondering if there are cars with climate control and air ride that are meant for high value fragile payload instead of vegetables and meat. We have to order special trucks to do business as most rental reefer bodies are for produce, fish and meat.

Question is: are there clean, climate control, air ride cars that would be suitable for shipping fine art and antiques via rail?

Many thanks!

Tim
 #1409534  by John_Perkowski

One option, and it won't be inexpensive, is to contact the American Association of Private Railcar Owners, or AAPRCO. There used to be some renovated baggage cars available for charter as "dance floor" cars. They have the open space, they MAY HAVE the baggage doors available, and they are certainly climate controlled.
Here's the website, but I'd call the Executive Director, Borden Black, (706) 326-6262

Another option is to contact Amtrak, http://www.amtrak.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but I'm not sure you'd get climate control beyond heating support in the winter.

A third option is to call the railroad serving your spur. While you may have to build special dunnage to protect your load, you may be able to lease a refrigerator car, and specify the temp and humidity you'd need for the run.