Railroad Forums 

• Wheel Diameters

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1394462  by b&m 1566

A previous post of mine got me thinking of this question - Are all axles on railcars the same size? Is there a standard size for freight and passenger equipment?
 #1394465  by DutchRailnut

no, most MU cars had 33" or 36 " wheels heritage cars are 40" most of time, Locomotives were 40" but with higher horse power they have been going for 42" wheels
 #1394483  by b&m 1566

Why do MU cars come with smaller diameter wheels?
 #1394497  by DutchRailnut

not enough-room for truck and maintain floor height for high platforms. the main reason locomotive wheels are bigger is to accommodate bigger traction motors, and floor height is not a problem.
 #1394610  by Allen Hazen

Larger diameter is also better for weight (the area of contact between wheel and rail is increased): I believe that the heaviest freight cars have slightly larger wheels than older freight cars. (And I have certainly seen suggestions that larger wheels should be used on future heavy haul cars.)
--
Related question. A GE locomotive maintenance manual available at "Fallen Flags" has a note about permissible variation of wheel diameter: wheels on an axle should be the same diameter, but wheels on the different axles of a locomotive can vary by up to "25 tapes". What's a tape?
 #1394667  by Train Detainer

Wheel size (diameter) for cars is primarily a function of floor height. For locos it is for TM size and adhesion factors (IIRC there are 44" wheels on some ACs). Vast majority of US freight cars today are on 33" or 36" wheels. Some autoracks/intermodal flats are/were on 28" wheels due to low floor height. There are fewer sizes today than in the past for freight due to standardization. Axle size and wheel (plate) contour varies due to axle load requirement.

Allen Hazen - A 'tape' as referenced in the GE manual is a division on a Pi tape (wheel diameter is actually measured by circumference, with the measurement increments on the tape converted to corresponding diameter). I don't recall at the minute if the standard divisions for RR tapes is 1/16" or 1/10" diameter or what. Been a while.
 #1394807  by Allen Hazen

Train Detainer-- Thanks for reply! I figured it was something like that (putting a tape around the wheel is surely easier to do than trying to measure diameter directly with any accuracy!), but had no idea what size the units were. 1/16 inch makes sense: I think diesel locomotives can tolerate over an inch of difference in diameter between wheels on different axles, and the manual said "25 tapes".
 #1397773  by John_Perkowski

Attached, but also available directly from this link, is a class presented at an AAR conference by Greenbrier Rail Services.
Attachments:
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 437 times
 #1401982  by FarmallBob

Articulated 3 and 5 unit well cars ("double stacks") often have different wheel diameters on the same car. End trucks will have standard 33" wheels. However the intermediate trucks (trucks the articulating points and which carry approx double the load of the end trucks) will have 38" wheels.

Makes for an interesting audio effect when one of these cars with slide flatted wheels passes at speed - the end and intermediate wheels sets bang away at different frequencies.