Railroad Forums 

• front/rear platform on 1st gen diesels

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1302605  by proto05

This has been bothering me for awhile and I need someone to explain what these step/catwalk looking things are on the fronts of these engines, right at the bottom of either end, it looks like it was put there for a crewman to ride on but why? We ride on the steps.

#1302610  by litz

When you have multiple engines (MU), those platforms fold down, to provide a stepping surface when traversing from one engine to another.

When not in use, they are supposed to be folded up (as shown in the picture) so someone doesn't walk off the end of the train.
 #1302658  by DutchRailnut

I think he means the now illegal switching step in front of MU hoses , yes it was meant to ride on, but to many crew members misjudged speed of engine when stepping off, and got killed or maimed when engine caught them.
 #1302815  by NorthWest

Those steps at the bottom of the corner of the locomotive pilot? They are footboards, and were a carryover from steam. Where the steps are now were where steam cylinders were, and so crews stood on the footboards when switching. They were banned after too many crewmembers were crushed, IIRC about the mid 1970s.