Railroad Forums 

• New Mass Rail Car Builder! (or not) - Vertex Rail Mfg

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1250956  by Cowford

I agree with Mr Patrick. This is not credible simply based on their time line claims. The lead time on many tank components alone runs past Q2. I would suggest that anyone who believes otherwise tour an active tank car production facility... it is a tad more complicated than opening a muffin shop.
 #1250986  by CN9634

I heard rumors of tank car manufacturing in NE about a year ago because of the shortage of tanks. Now with the outdated DOT111A tanks, a huge push has been coming to upgrade the fleet to modern spec. Assuming the rumors I heard a year ago were about this company (Which I will in this regard), than there may be more truth to this than we think. If they already have a CAD design they are promoting, one would assume that they've had it for a while and it is stamped by a PE.
 #1251185  by Sir Ray

OK, to be fair to Mr Patrick, I do agree that production starting in 2nd Quarter 2014 (which starts only a little over a month away) is very agressive and rather optomistic - 4th quarter 2014 would seem to be more realistic, and 1st quater 2015 even more so. If the plan had been to start upgrading tank cars in an existing facility, then 2nd Qtr would be reasonable.
I guess we can revisit this thread, perhaps in Summer, and see what if anything has transpired...
 #1251257  by boatsmate

I read a separate article on line from another creditable news source, it does not state that the cars will be produced in Worcester in the 2nd quarter, as a matter of fact it did say when the cars would start production in Worcester. it talked about its other plant where they already produce cars stepping up production. and that Worcester would be added to the mix. later in the quaters
 #1251271  by ProRail

I am still waiting for the following pipe-dreams to be completed in MA...

1) Dream World Amusement Park: South Plymouth, MA...late 1980s, they were going to build a Disneyland like park, all indoors and underground on the site that is the now Ponds of Plymouth residential development near I-495

2) Old Colony Film Studios - Plymouth, MA..the golf course just off Route 3 and Exit 3. These guys supposedly had Ben Affleck and Matt Damon in the fold.
The talking heads on WEEI yapped about it for 2 years...now all is silent

3) Evergreen Solar in Ayer, MA: $25 million in tax breaks, and the company moved to China in 1 year

4) Remind me again how Massachusetts is friendly to heavy manufacturing ???
 #1251290  by bostontrainguy

ProRail wrote:I am still waiting for the following pipe-dreams to be completed in MA...

1) Dream World Amusement Park: South Plymouth, MA...late 1980s, they were going to build a Disneyland like park, all indoors and underground on the site that is the now Ponds of Plymouth residential development near I-495

2) Old Colony Film Studios - Plymouth, MA..the golf course just off Route 3 and Exit 3. These guys supposedly had Ben Affleck and Matt Damon in the fold.
The talking heads on WEEI yapped about it for 2 years...now all is silent

3) Evergreen Solar in Ayer, MA: $25 million in tax breaks, and the company moved to China in 1 year

4) Remind me again how Massachusetts is friendly to heavy manufacturing ???
1) We did have Pleasure Island for many years and that almost became an eastcoast Disneyland (with Edaville trains to boot).
2) I guess that idea has moved to Worcester.
3) And don't get me started on A123 battery. I lost a lot on money on that one being a taxpayer and a stockholder.
4) The union thing doesn't help either. I know someone who works at GE Lynn and the union was just stubborn and was not about to encourage any new business there building locomotives.
 #1251293  by ProRail

I forgot to add..
I have some stock in Credit Mobilier and also the Kansas Pacific if anyone wants some financing.
 #1251569  by Teamdriver

CN9634 wrote:I heard rumors of tank car manufacturing in NE about a year ago because of the shortage of tanks. Now with the outdated DOT111A tanks, a huge push has been coming to upgrade the fleet to modern spec. Assuming the rumors I heard a year ago were about this company (Which I will in this regard), than there may be more truth to this than we think. If they already have a CAD design they are promoting, one would assume that they've had it for a while and it is stamped by a PE.
There is a place in Plaistow NH that makes tanks , big tanks, and advertises about making RR tank cars :

http://www.chartindustries.com/Content/ ... height=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liquid Tube Trailer HP2 2500 mobile equipmentChart Industries offers a wide variety of options for transporting cryogenic liquids. Chart's patented ISO Container designs, TVAC ®, PVAC ®, and COVAC ®, are rugged, efficient vessels for transporting cryogenic liquids anywhere in the world by any means – road, rail or sea.

Chart's semi-trailers and truck mounts for the oil field market are proven, rugged, reliable units designed specifically for the rigors of this industry. The largest standard trailerized vessel maximizes its capacity at 7,600 gallons. Also, be sure to check out Chart’s Orca ® delivery trucks in the MicroBulk section of our website.

Chart offers DOT-113 and AAR-204W tank cars for transporting optimized payloads of argon (200,000 lbs), oxygen (191,400 lbs), nitrogen (172,700 lbs), ethylene (142,500 lbs) and LNG (110,500 lbs).

Contact Chart for your cryogenic railcar needs.

Learn More:

Liquid Tube Trailer HP2 2500Liquid Tube Trailer® HP2 2500 ISO ContainersISO Containers Oil Field EquipmentOil Field Equipment Rail CarsRail Cars HLD Series
 #1251740  by daylight4449

Alright, two points;

1) Does anyone really think that this deal would have been announced without serious backing?
2) So the website is a bit bare. What is more important? Using industry contacts to get the word out and develop a bare-bones website to give something of an idea on what is being done while focusing on getting the infrastructure up and running, or having a completely awesome website with no facilities to speak off...

And not to burst anyone's bubble, but from what I've been hearing, the Osgood Bradly plant wasn't even under consideration.

In regards to the North Brookfield Railroad, what is going to make more money for a group of investors? A 4 mile shortline that brings in a good chunk of change, or railcar manufacturing that brings in millions? I'd go with the manufacturing... And one last point to consider, but these deals take time to develop. There could be investors who back out, funding, legal requirements, insurance and labor standards, etc. that have to be dealt with first before these deals go public. Just food for thought...
 #1251831  by KEN PATRICK

18 cars/day? can't pass the straight face test. greenbrier is getting into this business. i can sort of believe them since they have jigs/fixtures and suppliers. a start up in worcester? where will they get sideframes & bolsters? last time i looked, china was the only source. at least 6 months from deposit to shipment. orders? from whom? $1.2 million output revenue per day? $1 million per day material costs. 20 day production cycle means $20 million in materials on hand. where would the funding come from?. ken patrick
 #1251837  by daylight4449

KEN PATRICK wrote:18 cars/day? can't pass the straight face test. greenbrier is getting into this business. i can sort of believe them since they have jigs/fixtures and suppliers. a start up in worcester? where will they get sideframes & bolsters? last time i looked, china was the only source. at least 6 months from deposit to shipment. orders? from whom? $1.2 million output revenue per day? $1 million per day material costs. 20 day production cycle means $20 million in materials on hand. where would the funding come from?. ken patrick
Ken, I couldn't even say with absolute certainty... The only one who could answer that question is Dan Bigda. Now, there is an email on the Vertex website, so has anyone thought of shooting this guy and email to see if he could answer some of these questions?
 #1252067  by F-line to Dudley via Park

daylight4449 wrote:
KEN PATRICK wrote:18 cars/day? can't pass the straight face test. greenbrier is getting into this business. i can sort of believe them since they have jigs/fixtures and suppliers. a start up in worcester? where will they get sideframes & bolsters? last time i looked, china was the only source. at least 6 months from deposit to shipment. orders? from whom? $1.2 million output revenue per day? $1 million per day material costs. 20 day production cycle means $20 million in materials on hand. where would the funding come from?. ken patrick
Ken, I couldn't even say with absolute certainty... The only one who could answer that question is Dan Bigda. Now, there is an email on the Vertex website, so has anyone thought of shooting this guy and email to see if he could answer some of these questions?
But getting a straight answer from the source would ruin all the fun of browbeating RR.net posters on repeat to use their nonexistent ESP to deliver those answers on a silver plater. I mean...who's got time or motivation to leverage one's own industry insider sources or figure out how to send an e-mail? :wink:
 #1252098  by daylight4449

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:
But getting a straight answer from the source would ruin all the fun of browbeating RR.net posters on repeat to use their nonexistent ESP to deliver those answers on a silver plater. I mean...who's got time or motivation to leverage one's own industry insider sources or figure out how to send an e-mail? :wink:
sarcasm
That statement has restored my faith in the internet...
sarcasm
 #1252321  by KEN PATRICK

i use questions as a simple method of directing thinking to non-factual statements. 'brow-beating' because i point out some incorrect statements? not so. i'm of the opinion that some posts are supercilious in attempting to portray railroad knowledge. being dismissive of my posts reflects shallow thinking. althought uncomfortable for some to contemplate, there are many instances where posts herein are not reality-driven. this i believe is a shining example of that. ken patrick
 #1252373  by daylight4449

KEN PATRICK wrote:i use questions as a simple method of directing thinking to non-factual statements. 'brow-beating' because i point out some incorrect statements? not so. i'm of the opinion that some posts are supercilious in attempting to portray railroad knowledge. being dismissive of my posts reflects shallow thinking. althought uncomfortable for some to contemplate, there are many instances where posts herein are not reality-driven. this i believe is a shining example of that. ken patrick
So... It's shallow thinking to suggest asking Mr. Bigda himself? I just don't get it...