Railroad Forums 

• Ugliest locomotive

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#18381  by shortlinerailroader

Now now, Scottychaos, let's not speak ill of the deceased.

As for unattractive locomotives, what's the deal with the cab of those MK5000Cs? It looks like an exaggerated version of a GE wide cab.
 #22472  by jmp883

C'mon now.........I'm just as much a railfan/model railroader as the next guy but good looking vs. bad looking? When it comes to all things mechanical there is nothing good-looking. Locomotives (and all things mechanical) are not meant to be good-looking nor are they supposed to be good-looking. They are machines, and machines are meant to be functional and ugly.

The only things I've ever seen on this planet that are meant to be good-looking are people, and even then there are some ugly ones (such as myself) mixed in.

Joe P
Long Live The EL :D
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

#25737  by bigblow69

the SP DH643

#26122  by NYC Fan

Absolutly the uggggliest locomotive of all time was the DL-109 that New Haven in-shopped and installed a door in that beautiful nose. Mind you, this wasn't just any door but big ugly door, big enough for a crewman to walk through from one unit to another.

#26356  by dti406

The Seabord Airline did a similar thing with their early E-Units, so when the Meteor split in Florida to go to either Tampa or Miami they would have a cab unit in front. If I remember correctly the E unit not only had a door on the nose it also had a diaphram. It was not good looking.

Rick

#28017  by Joe

The EMD SD70ACe. Big, ugly, tiny windows.
 #28618  by shortlinerailroader

I agree with Joe--the ACe would look much better with the 5-sided windows

#51532  by wess

You could probably include "Christine". The re-engined DL-109 that the Rock Island had in commuter service in the Chicago area for a number of years. I guess you could say that was the first true definition of a tranny :-D

#62943  by emd_SD_60

MEC407 wrote:I found a picture of a "Crandall" E8:

All in all, I think they were much easier on the eyes than some of the units mentioned above!
:P yeah, i saw some pics of those locos, a truly "unique" loco at heart!
only thing missing is a front catwalk and a door in the nose,lol :-D

#65575  by mxdata

While there have been many ugly homebuilts and chopped-up kitbashing jobs done on locomotives, my favorites for the ugliest products from the major builders would be the several ALCO C415's built with the very high cab and the EMD GP39-2's built for Kennecott Copper with high cabs. An airport control tower just does not look right on a locomotive.

#65734  by MEC407

mxdata wrote:and the EMD GP39-2's built for Kennecott Copper with high cabs.
Do you know if there is a site on the web that has any photos of those units? I don't think I've ever seen them on any of the populat rail photo sites.