• Loco ID Needed (tough one)

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Pensyfan19

I'm trying to identify the exact origins of NLLX 2100, a fiber optic cable laying machine for Northern Line Layers that was converted in the late 90s. The machine appears to be built from a GE frame, either a U boat or C30-7, but rrpicturearchives.net does not list the exact engine that this machine was converted from, as some descriptions say it was converted from a U28 or U30C, while others say it was formerly a C30-7. Any details as to exactly what engine this machine used to be would be greatly appreciated, as I plan on making a mini documentary on the oddity sometime soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by AllenPHazen

Not that it helps much -- truck interchange was common in maintenance, and there is no reason to think this machine has the trucks it left Erie with -- but the two trucks are different: the one on the right end (in the picture) is GSC, and the one on the left is Adirondack. ... I forget when Adirondack went out of business, but I think that (at least as original equipment) Adirondack trucks were more likely in the U period than in the Dash-7 period.
  by AllenPHazen

The notch at the corner of the stairwell that the handrail fits into seems to be the longer version, which (according to a website about "phases" of the U30C) seems to have started in 1972. So: at least we can be confident (sort of...) that it is a late U30C or a C30-7.
  by AllenPHazen

On the WWWeb,
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/ ... 11,1100643
is a "Trainorders" discussion page devoted to this, umm, unit (and a sister). Last post but one refers to an "Extra 2200 South" identifying the locomotives whose frames were used for the NLLX ... contraptions. One was an ATSF C30-7, the other a BN U30C (specific numbers given).
  by AllenPHazen

Oh. Note that the end at the left in the photo you linked appears to have ben the front when it was a locomotive: the side sill is deeper there, reflecting the location of equipment boxes on GE locomotives of the time.
  by BR&P

A little hanky-panky in the freight yard? Looks like the illegitimate offspring of a GE locomotive and a Jordan Spreader! :wink: