Railroad Forums 

• Never Seen a Baldwin Steam Engine Like This!

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1558155  by Rick A

I found this on another site.

It was called a double Fairly-type steam locomotive. Built in the Baldwin shops about in 1909. Photo is 5x7 glass negative.
Attachments:
Baldwin Fairly locomotive, around 1909.jpg
Baldwin Fairly locomotive, around 1909.jpg (348.08 KiB) Viewed 657 times
 #1558178  by Allen Hazen

I think it's spelled "Fairley," but not sure. My impression is that it was a type used in some British colonies, or elsewhere on "third world" railways with British influence. (A lot of Latin American railways had British investments.) My guess is that it is a British-origin design for a small articulated, that Baldwin probably built under license, but I'd have to check to be sure.
 #1558179  by Allen Hazen

Sorry, the spelling is "Fairlie."
There is a Wikipedia article on the type.
The design is British (first one by a Scottish engineer named Fairlie (doh!) in 1864). One or two still in use on the Ffestiniog Railway (a narrow gauge railway, now perated as a tourist railroad, in Wales).
They were sometimes called "Fairlie Patent" locomotives: who held the patent I don't know! They were built by several British and at least two U.S. locomotive builders: under license or maybe after the patent expired. Baldwin's biggest production of them was a narrow gauge (under two feet) version for use on temporary military railways in WW I.