Railroad Forums 

• Where did the name Rundle's Curve originate?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1548555  by PeteB

Some of you may have known the late Raymond Brown. Some of his images appeared in the ELHS Diamond and annual calendar. He was an associate editor of Locomotive Quarterly. Some of his drawings appeared in RMC.

Bob Pennisi, as Railroad Avenue Enterprises, sold prints of steam action along the Graham and Main lines between Howells Jct. and Port Jervis. Many of these were taken by Ray.

I knew Ray as we both worked on the Middletown & New Jersey, Ray having just retired before I came on the scene. I own Ray's color slides of EL diesel era action between Howell's Jct. and Black Rock Cut and have assembled a book of Ray's black and white steam era and color diesel era images in this area.

Rundle's Curve is a location just east of Port Jervis (and Black Rock Cut) that has been the site of a number of major derailments. The name has been in use throughout the EL era and decades back in the Erie era. I have asked a number of EL vets how the curve got its name and no one knows. They just referred to it as "Rundle's Curve".

I haven't noticed the name "Rundle" on the valuation maps. I did find an engineer Rundle who worked out of Port Jervis in the early 1900's and retired from train service after a couple decades as engineer account eyesight and then became a watchman in the Erie's coal storage yard. But I don't find that he ever wrecked on the curve. I don't find anything online either.

So, does anyone know how/when the curve got its name?

Thank you.

Pete Brill
 #1549174  by Fishrrman

"I haven't noticed the name "Rundle" on the valuation maps. I did find an engineer Rundle who worked out of Port Jervis in the early 1900's and retired from train service after a couple decades as engineer account eyesight and then became a watchman in the Erie's coal storage yard."

Maybe Mr. Rundles derailed on that curve in a particularly spectacular fashion (upon which he took his "retirement" from engine service). And afterwards, the guys just started calling it "Rundle's curve". That's how some locations "got their names" on the railroad.

When I worked there, I recall someone saying that no one ever derailed on Black Rock curve (immediately downhill from Rundles and also restricted to 30mph). If you were going to go off, you did it at Rundles curve!
(J.Albert)
 #1549199  by PeteB

Mr. Albert,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it seemed to me that Engineer Rundle probably played a role in the naming of the curve but I could not find any mention of the particular wreck. As you indicated, it might be in the year he retired from engine service. Thanks also for the added information

Pete Brill