Railroad Forums 

• Dansville Hill Grade

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1521766  by Fireman43

In regards to the grade of the DL&W at Dansville, I can't find the thread I read last night when the comments were referencing the need for pushers north bound (west) for freights loaded with coal , but returning no need with empty gons.

Unsure if on this forum or NYS, but my couple questions are:

I presumed the grade was going DOWN from Wayland to Dansville. ( NB) ???????

Did the Erie take over this segment from the DL? If so. did the Erie haul coal or had that diminished by the time of take over?

And lastly, I know the coal on other lines went to be loaded on lake freighters - Charlotte, Sodus Bay and Fairhaven ,but where was the coal on the DL destined?
Mark
 #1521767  by Fireman43

My comment on the grade from Dansville to Wayland is only by my visual from the 390. Suppose. I should look at a topomap.

Mark
 #1542229  by s4ny

Groveland to Wayland was eastbound and used pushers. I do not recall seeing pushers in the diesel era, but do recall seeing as many as 7 locomotives on eastbound freights in Wayland.

There were 2 wyes between Perkinsville an Wayland. One for the DL&W and the other for the Shawmut.

When Erie and DL&W merged in 1960 the new company continued to operate on the Groveland - Wayland segment, but quickly single tracked the line and then abandoned the segment entirely.
 #1542392  by TrainDetainer

Fireman43 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:51 pm And lastly, I know the coal on other lines went to be loaded on lake freighters - Charlotte, Sodus Bay and Fairhaven ,but where was the coal on the DL destined?
Mark
DLW coal went to the canal area at Buffalo between Main St and Erie St for transfer to lake freighters or local sale. The whole area where the Marine Apartments and the Naval park are was all coal yard. Where the navy ships are now was for coal ships.
 #1596725  by Gilbert B Norman

I recall a '60 "joyride" on Westward Miss Phoebe, where it did seem to be a "pull" for her two E-8's with maybe ten, including head end, cars.

I got off in Dansville for a return to Hoboken on The Mail, which was the only time in my life I pulled the "cheap trick" of "short hauling" a Sleeper.

I first rode the ERIE to Binghampton and there, using a "giveaway" Coach only DL&W ticket on to Dansville, returning was to be Coach to Bingo thence occupying the Sleeper at a regular rate. However, shortly after boarding the Mail at Dansville the Conductor, followed by the Porter, announces "which of you has a Sleeper from Binghampton?". I raised me hand. "Well, you'd better go up there now; I had a Coach go Bad Order on me, and I'm going to need every seat I got- that even includes in the Diner".

I've never felt right about doing that, and even though I learn of that stunt being pulled today on Amtrak, I will have no part of such.

Finally, to end back on topic, it is no wonder that segment was first to be chopped up after the merger.
 #1596733  by Fireman43

Mr Norman,
Interesting recollections.
You mention the Dansville Station.
As the ROW is up I’d call the hillside, where would the station have been?

I know , referring to Charles Woolevers Existing Stations website I can’t determine where a station would have been.
I suppose Charles might also enlighten me.

Mark
 #1596749  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is a photo of the DL&W Dansville station. It certainly appears to be part way up a hill. Somewhere I noted a reference to Depot Street on which the station was apparently located.

However, I "drove" the Googlemobile along Depot Road looking for the structure without success. However, take that "drive" yourself and you will note many a vista of the valley below.

Here is a photo album of DL&W structures compiled by this site's former owner, John Stewart:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jnos363/a ... 053216202/
 #1601289  by Fireman43

Charles,
Not knowledgeable enough to plug in coordinates but are you saying no pic of a station but this is the location?
Also on your site you have the D and M station in Dansville- did not the Erie take over this trackage or am I really confused?
 #1602004  by s4ny

DL&W from Wayland to Groveland (timetable westbound) was downgrade, no need for pushers. DL&W had a coaling facility and yard in Groveland. Most of the coal to Buffalo was for use in Buffalo, including Lackawanna Steel. (not related to the railroad) Some DL&W coal certainly continued west on other lines. Likely not much on boats.

When the Erie and DL&W merged in Oct 1960 the DL&W through Dansville was a fairly busy, 2 track trunk line. Maybe 20 thru freights per day and 4-6 passenger trains. Shortly thereafter, the line was single tracked and then severed from Groveland to Wayland. The Erie shifted the Hoboken to Buffalo passenger trains to the Erie Buffalo line through Warsaw.

Both the merger partners were failing companies, but the DL&W was failing more rapidly and the Erie basically took over. The Erie still had major operations in Hornell where the Buffalo line diverged from the old Main Line. By then, most of the Erie freight used the River Line to Hunts and continued to Hornell via Canaseraga.