Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#130729  by Trackmobile

It should now be noted that the former machine shop is in the process of be torn down . :( :( There is a picture of the work in Wednesdays (5/25/05) Press Republican paper.
 #175742  by CPSD40-2

I visited P-Burgh for the first time in a couple years, and was saddened to see that the entire yard and buildings that remained are completely gone. Still not sure why its such a great site for development - there's a water treatment plant right next door!
 #183355  by wvalla

I'm trying to create a track plan for the Plattsburgh yard in the steam era. Anyone know exactly where the coaling tower was located? I found a 1919 photo online (http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/images/ch ... l-1919.jpg). It shows what appears to be a coaling tower between the machine shop and the roundhouse. Is that correct?

Based on satellite photos and the poorly drawn maps in Railroads of the Adirondacks it doesn't appear that that the coaling tower would have been able to fit there.

In the same photo, the water tower is to the north of (behind) the roundhouse. Did that supply water columns in front of the roundhouse, or was that used to fill tenders directly.

RotA also indicates a turntable lead from the rear of the machine shop. Is that correct? The reason I as is that the lead would be in about the same spot as the coaling tower, if I'm judging correctly from the photo. The map shows no servicing facilities for sand, coal, or water.

Any help would be appreciated.

#504489  by Champlain Division

The Dr. Kudish book is about the most accurate data you're going to readily find. You might want to consider contacting him directly or check the accompanying text. It may reference what data he used to base the map on.

Also, hoping against hope for the various aerial/satellite photo sites to update the Plattsburgh area, I'm still waiting to see what the new Plattsburgh Yard looks like. Anybody who's got ground or aerial photos they can post would be most appreciated.

#515124  by Champlain Division

Well Halleluia!

Mapquest has finally updated its aerial photos showing the configuration of the new yard. :-D
 #515664  by march hare

I have a very detailed map of the engine facility, circa late 1920s, as a .pdf. I can email you one if you'd like.

Contact me off list and I'll shoot it off to you.
 #684785  by donredhead

CPSD40-2 wrote:I visited P-Burgh for the first time in a couple years, and was saddened to see that the entire yard and buildings that remained are completely gone. Still not sure why its such a great site for development - there's a water treatment plant right next door!
They want a hotel right there? Try eating at the Naked turtle when the wind is blowing the wrong way
 #685089  by Champlain Division

According to a recent Plattsburgh Press - Republican article they refer to a "nearby" Claire & Carl's restaurant. So, has that restaurant been relocated from Route 9 south of the base near Bluff Point to the waterfront?. Hmmmm, maybe the aroma from Michigans will overpower that of the sewage treatment plant........NOT!!!