Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#934061  by JWKessler

I've noticed that over the past few weeks new radio communications towers have been going up along the D&H right of way between Binghamton and Oneonta (as far as I've looked). These are rather tall steel towers as opposed the the antennas on tall phone poles that seem to be in place now. I noticed one near Sanataria Springs, one near where the tracks cross Route 7 before Afton, one in Bainbridge, and one past Unidilla.

I wonder if anyone has information on the upgrade. Are frequencies likely to change - or is this in preparation for a move to digital - or will I just be getting a stronger signal on my scanner?

I have been curious as to how these communication system works. Where is the dispatcher physically located? Do the signals relay from one tower to the next? Just curious since radio and technology in general have been other hobbies of mine.
 #934188  by twropr

The train dispatcher is located in Minneapolis and the radio signal goes through the phone lines to the antenna. Since I have not been to NY State in several years, I would be curious as to how the scanner reception is on the new antennas vs. the old phone-pole mounted masts that I used to listen to.

Andy
 #934258  by JWKessler

twropr wrote:The train dispatcher is located in Minneapolis and the radio signal goes through the phone lines to the antenna. Since I have not been to NY State in several years, I would be curious as to how the scanner reception is on the new antennas vs. the old phone-pole mounted masts that I used to listen to.

Andy
Thanks for that info. I'm not sure when the new equipment will go live - the Afton tower just went up in the past few days. I live in Nineveh Junction just above the tracks so reception has always been decent, but in the past I think we heard more traffic than we do now, as if signals from more distant areas were being relayed over the local transmitter. More recently we only hear communications when the trains are relatively near by. Perhaps with the new gear we will be able to pick up more distant towers.