Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#921117  by JWKessler

I live a few hundred feet from the old D&H between Binghamton and Oneonta, NY. Specifically I'm in Nineveh Junction, within walking distance of the SW Cabin and the Harpursville Trestle. As a result I get to hear and see train activity on this line on a daily basis.

I've noticed over the past few months that pretty much all of the activity on this line has been NS powered. About 2 months ago I spotted a train sitting on the Afton siding with a couple of CP locomotives up front, but everything else I've seen has been NS.

Maintenance of way trucks are all marked CP rail however. In fact one drove past my house about an hour ago. They are replacing some rail in the Afton area and up towards Wells Bridge.

I've also noticed a marked increase in traffic over the past week or so. At times we hear or see a train every half hour or so, though the activity varies throughout the day.

I recall reading in one or both of the major rail fan mags about the new "Patriot Corridor" which will run between Chicago and Boston, using the D&H as one leg. I havn't heard much about that since however, and I haven't seen any discussion of that on this forum or other forums. I know one problem with that is the old trestle over the Letchwork gorge which is in bad shape and needs replacement.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has information regarding current activities on this route. It's always nice to see increased traffic.
 #922087  by ANDY117

A majority of the trains on that section are NS powered now, with only 4 being CP power, the latest symbol list I have for that section of track is:

North/South

253/252 Daily CP powered mixed freight with international containers.

555/554 The "Super Local" between Binghamton and Mohawk. I believe it runs north on M/W/F, and returns the following day. Hopefully someone on here has a better rundown on it's times. CP power, with the usual being a pair of 7300 series GP38-2s.

629/628 NS 674/675 unit salt trains from Ithaca to Whitehall where they get interchanged with VRS. NS power, and the cars usually have CLSX reporting marks.

931/930 NS 31T/30T Daily CN traffic between Enola and Montreal. It used to have CN power, but these days it's NS with the occasional CN unit. The cars on this train are usually CN and it's subsidiaries, as well as bulkhead flats loaded with aluminum slabs.

934/935 NS 22K/23K Daily intermodal between Chicago and Ayer, MA NS power, and no double stacks.

936/937 NS 532/533 Coal trains to Bow, NH as needed. Other NS symbols are 888/889.

938/939 NS 206/205 Daily intermodal between Chicago and Albany with NS power and double stacks.

Extra trains are run as needed. Usually a 2-XXX for whatever train this is the extra for. So if it was an extra 252, it would be 2-252.

The Patriot Corridor is progressing, but the holdup is Mechanicville yard, which they are working on making into an intermodal hub to replace Kenwood Yard in Albany. Letchworth is also an issue which NS is apparently working on based on what people are seeing around the bridge site (survey marks, holes being drilled, etc.).

If you have a scanner handy, the road channel up there is 161.475.
 #923481  by EMDSD40-2

ANDY117 wrote:A majority of the trains on that section are NS powered now, with only 4 being CP power, the latest symbol list I have for that section of track is:

North/South

253/252 Daily CP powered mixed freight with international containers.

555/554 The "Super Local" between Binghamton and Mohawk. I believe it runs north on M/W/F, and returns the following day. Hopefully someone on here has a better rundown on it's times. CP power, with the usual being a pair of 7300 series GP38-2s.

629/628 NS 674/675 unit salt trains from Ithaca to Whitehall where they get interchanged with VRS. NS power, and the cars usually have CLSX reporting marks.

931/930 NS 31T/30T Daily CN traffic between Enola and Montreal. It used to have CN power, but these days it's NS with the occasional CN unit. The cars on this train are usually CN and it's subsidiaries, as well as bulkhead flats loaded with aluminum slabs.

934/935 NS 22K/23K Daily intermodal between Chicago and Ayer, MA NS power, and no double stacks.

936/937 NS 532/533 Coal trains to Bow, NH as needed. Other NS symbols are 888/889.

938/939 NS 206/205 Daily intermodal between Chicago and Albany with NS power and double stacks.

Extra trains are run as needed. Usually a 2-XXX for whatever train this is the extra for. So if it was an extra 252, it would be 2-252.

The Patriot Corridor is progressing, but the holdup is Mechanicville yard, which they are working on making into an intermodal hub to replace Kenwood Yard in Albany. Letchworth is also an issue which NS is apparently working on based on what people are seeing around the bridge site (survey marks, holes being drilled, etc.).

If you have a scanner handy, the road channel up there is 161.475.
That is a good list of the traffic on that section of the D&H. I thought I would point out that there are actually six CP powered trains. The "252/253" trains do not run as counterparts. Along with the 554/555, the other train numbers are actually the 250/253 and the 252/251. I don't know why CP numbered them in such a confusing way. The 250/253 is run with a Binghamton crew and the 252/251 is run with a Saratoga crew. All four trains normally run between Binghamton and Montreal.
 #923945  by dtravisjr

I could be wrong but I think Andy's list is correct. CP abolished 250/251 several years ago, right around the start of the recession I think. Only 252/253 and the "super local" 554/555 (Which is partly the old SU-2)remain as "pure" CP traffic.

Dave
 #929350  by JWKessler

Thanks to ANDY117 for the information. I just double checked and I did have the correct frequency programmed into my scanner. I used to monitor 160.590 here but that seems quiet now. I used to be able to pick up some NYS&W on the scanner as well, but that too seems quiet these days. I'd guess the loss of the Utica branch is responsible.