Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#825175  by MEC407

More on the fire, from today's Times Union:
COLONIE -- Firefighters and police Tuesday responded to a fire and heavy smoke at the abandoned Delaware & Hudson Railway locomotive repair shop and rail yards.

Reports of an explosion at the site came in at 3:45 p.m. A fire soon engulfed every combustible part of the building, according to Jerry Paris, deputy coordinator for the Colonie Fire Department.
Read more at: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/st ... yID=948233
 #825267  by Benjamin Maggi

I know it has been dead for awhile, but it still seems a shame. I will probably drive by this week to see what is left/visible from the road. I remember seeing part of it in 2004 when I moved to the are and taking some pictures.

I wonder how long it might be before someone sets fire to the train equipment stored near there.
 #825280  by MEC407

An article in another newspaper said that the property is owned by Pan Am and that Pan Am officials are on the scene.

Question: why did Pan Am (Guilford at the time) hang onto this piece of D&H property, rather than relinquish it with the rest of the D&H?
 #825645  by Benjamin Maggi

I agree: everything I have ever heard and/or read (meaning: Hearsay) also stated that CP didn't want it. Personally, it would seem like a large area of land with little use and a lot of environmental damage/pollution which would cost a bit of money to fix.
 #827688  by Tadman

I bet the environmental remediation bill will be huge. Frankly, I don't know how PAR hasn't already been hit with a whopper. Usually a company can stave off EPA mandated cleanup if there is still some activity - even a security guard keeping a sharp eye on weeds and coyotes - so maybe that's how PAR is dealing ...
 #828484  by guilfordrailfan

Are there any buildings left on that site? If so there can't be many. I find it unbelievably incredible that so many of Colonie's buildings have been lost to mysterious fires. There are plenty of abandoned industrial sites where buildings have remained intact for decades. So how is it that Colonie's abandoned buildings are being destroyed by fire one after another? Are there that many pyromainacs in the area or is it just a series of bizzare coincidences?