Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#1062665  by Cactus Jack

Mark

Ok, I understand what you are saying which was sort of the conclusion I had come up with at the time when I was there. If that over pass was there until 1980 I don't recall it and it does not show in my pics back in Fall 1977. But not to say it was not there either as it may just not be showing and the memory has no recollection. In 1982-84 I was there alot and for sure it was gone.

I'd love to see a photo of some sort.

Thnx - this is a great thread and a very interesting subject.

As a side note I was amazed to learn abouth te waterfall to the west of the Route 20 overpass - Judd Falls. It would be interesting to incorporate that into a model railroad layout ... somehow ! Neat area with lots of history.

CJ
 #1062710  by Mem160

Sharon Springs
Attachments:
Right-of-Way across from Sharon Springs Station, looking toward US Route 20
Right-of-Way across from Sharon Springs Station, looking toward US Route 20
132.jpg (271.59 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
 #1062711  by Mem160

Seward, New York circa 2008 ish
Attachments:
Pond/Swamp from upper Seward Lane.  Highway Dept. Toward the right further down that roadway
Pond/Swamp from upper Seward Lane. Highway Dept. Toward the right further down that roadway
DSCF1798.jpg (248.42 KiB) Viewed 5854 times
 #1062712  by Mem160

Cherry Valley

NOTE ----> SORRY I just now realized I can put up more than 1 photo per post~!
Attachments:
Cherry Valley overpass top-side
Cherry Valley overpass top-side
b.jpg (72.96 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
US 20 Overpass, circa 2001
US 20 Overpass, circa 2001
n_a.jpg (42.23 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
 #1062718  by brward

That would be Patrick Road which loops from Warnerville Cutoff to Route 10 just south of Hyndsville. Although Judd Falls was not railroad related, well before the making of the re-route of Route 20 in 1954, there were mill ponds, a mill, a schoolhouse and residences relative to the CV exit. This would be an expectational addition to a layout because the landscape with the railroad was quite different then.
-Brian
 #1062815  by Cactus Jack

I don't have too much in the way of pics, was at KF in Fall '77 trying to shoot the PA powered excursion that was canx, but I didn't know that. Shot a few trains at Warnerville Road Crossing. Later in 1982-84 I dated a girl at SUNY Cobleskill and haunted the area, especially from the Briggs Lumber facility / Route 7 overpass near the college to Warnerville Road and took photos from time to time. Nothing really exciting. They used the big 700's as pushers alot and sometimes the 5000's. In '82 and early '83 the RS-3's were frequent pushers and they literally peeled the wallpaper off the walls when they went through. As I said, nothing really left at KF of the junction area and it was difficult to figure out how it all interfaced.

I do recall when coming from Sharon Springs towards Cobleskill on Route 10 that the embankments and ROW were very, very visible, especially in winter.

Judd Falls is located at the bottom of the hill on Route 20 at the Cherry Valley exit - see recently posted photo of the Route 20 overpass bridge looking west. Take the exit (sign visible in photo) and swing around north and west then head a little back towards Route 20 (I think there is still a pull off area - and walk in). The falls are almost under the road but you can't see them till you swing around to the north. For more info you can google it.

I was wondering from the last train photo posted what commodities were received. Looks like feed cars and coal may have been staples ? Any milk traffic still on the line back in the '50's ?

Also, where did the crews work out of ? Did these guys regular bid the job or work off the pusher crew list as an extra ? Just curious.
 #1062841  by march hare

Here's how coal got in.

Boy, these are coming out big! I have several more detail pix scanned from the negs, let me know if you're interested. I could email them direct or post them here if so desired.

Originals are Plus-X negs shot on my way over to chase the CNY in Rivhfield springs, circa 1978. CNY's RS3 got roughly 1/3 the way out of the engine house and promtly died. Probably the shortest train chase I've ever been on--roughly 20 feet, two pictures, then home.
 #1062889  by toolmaker

After scanning your negatives/pictures, make a copy, close the original and edit the copy with MicroSoft paint. Resize to 33% and test one. Once you find a scale that works upload it here.

By the Way, thank you for the pictures!
 #1062897  by march hare

These have been run through Photoshop Elements, contrast-corrected,cropped and redresized to 1000 pixel maximum dimensions, then "Saved for Web" to get below the 400K size limit. That works well for display on my screen and for posting on sites like Trainorders, but not so well here.

Will post them smaller next time.

Meanwhile, anybody interested in modeling this structure, the offer for jpegs still stands.

Gardiner Cross
Cripplebush Valley Models
"Great Looking Rocks, In Less Than A Million Years"
www.cripplebush.net
 #1066204  by trainsinmaine

I'm curious about that Route 20 bridge in Cherry Valley, which I've seen only once, during a visit out that way about ten years ago. I know it's become sort of a landmark among us railfans, and I wouldn't want to see it removed --- but how has it managed to stay standing after all these years? As it serves no real purpose (or so I gather), I would have thought the State would have removed it years ago.