Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#683152  by lvrr325

Anyone have any thoughts on if I should try to save a mid-60s Ford F250 or F350 crew cab that was once a D&H company vehicle? It's pretty rough, restoring it is probably going to mean finding another better one and just using this cab on it, but these don't grow on trees anymore either.

For you modelers the correct color is a meduim red (probably a standard Ford fleet color), with a reflective square yellow door decal bearing a "The D&H" script logo, no shield.
 #683173  by lvrr325

Either way, hirail gear is long gone. But I do know the EL used the same size/make/model Ford as a hirail truck, so who knows. But there's no question in my mind it belonged to the D&H, it has a number on it, the decals, and the whole works is way too old/faded to be someone's add on after the truck was sold used from say a utility.

By "saving" I should be clear all I'm going to do is keep it from being scrapped and see if I can find someone who does want it. These trucks are fairly rare to come by as it is, and older railroad trucks are just about non-existant.
 #685612  by lvrr325

Not sure what that has to do with what I asked, but... I have a tenative deal to flip it to someone who wants to save it, so there you have it. Fords of this era have little to no value it turns out.
 #686947  by lvrr325

I finally posted it in an ad and should have done that to begin with. Looks like it's heading to California to get rebuilt, but I get to keep some pieces. Guy just needs the cab. When I have my own pictures I'll post some.
 #706871  by lvrr325

Well, every buyer I had on this either was pulling my leg or ran off screaming because it's an old truck, it has some rust and dings in it, apparently they expected showroom fresh. But I bought it anyways against my better judgement. If nothing else I'll get the satisfaction of posting photos of it after it's crushed. But it's available again if anyone's interested. $750 FIRM.
 #713005  by ChiefTroll

If anyone wants to restore this, the color on D&H trucks of that vintage was standard Ford red. While I was working for the NYC in Ohio, I bought a red 1966 F-250. About six months later I had come to the D&H and became Track Supervisor at Plattsburgh. My D&H truck there was the K-288, a red 1966 F-250 hi-rail of exactly the same color (and same engine and transmission, but with the older square box). So I can give a definite color match.

Most of the D&H six-pack hi-rails were 1963-64 F-350's. If it's an F-250 it is probably a 1967 and never had a hi-rail unit on it. The D&H stickers on the doors prior to 1968 had a big yellow "The D&H" on a red background, about 18 inches square. For 1968 and later, the sticker was a smaller yellow shield with a blue "The D&H" printed on it. Just some incidental thoughts, for what they are worth.

Gordon Davids
 #714372  by lvrr325

Truck is most assuredly a 61-66, F350. I still haven't seen it in person myself to pull numbers off it and determine the exact year, my hauler had a fire destroy his rollback before he could bring it back for me. Doors have a large square yellow decal with script "The D&H" that has been crudely scraped away; if there was any red background it's gone with the scraping, but it's obvious what was removed.
 #737445  by oibu

SAVE IT! heck, somebody must see the value in it even if only as a cosmetic resto. You might find someone or some group who'd take it on as a restoration project if you were willing to lower price/donate.

Maybe I'm just weird, but given how little attention IS given to such matters, if an original MOW truck of 40+ years ago, from what amounts to a fallen flag, is found, it is worth preserving. I'm not in a position to be able to do it myself, unfortunately... but it is a preservation effort that I'd consider worth supporting.
 #737903  by lvrr325

oibu wrote:SAVE IT! heck, somebody must see the value in it even if only as a cosmetic resto. You might find someone or some group who'd take it on as a restoration project if you were willing to lower price/donate.

Maybe I'm just weird, but given how little attention IS given to such matters, if an original MOW truck of 40+ years ago, from what amounts to a fallen flag, is found, it is worth preserving. I'm not in a position to be able to do it myself, unfortunately... but it is a preservation effort that I'd consider worth supporting.

You uh, did read beyond the first post, right?

I'm not a charity, the price is the price, I can always sell it for scrap.
 #745591  by oibu

^ Hey you were the one asking for other's opinions about whether it was worth saving or whether anyone might be interested... :wink: You could've just come out and said "THE PRICE IS $X00, any takers before it goes to china to be made into Walmart trinkets?"