Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#467679  by Adirondack_Ghost

We work at the International Paper plant in Ticonderoga and are serviced by CP Rail. Anyways, one of the questions that came up and blossomed into a deathmatch of sorts was whether or not the line sidings could handle more than 100 cars. I was under the impression that the line between Fort Ann and Plattsburgh could only send through trains of 100 or less... any help solving this would be appreciated.

#478022  by Railjunkie

The only two that I can think of that would be close are Whitehall and Howards. They are putting the siding back in Rockland but Im not sure how long its going to be.

#479463  by firstout

The sidings on the Canadian Sub can handle over a 100 cars. In fact sometime they run 10,000ft. long trains over the northend. Sidings in Ft. Edward, Whitehall, and Bluff Point are 10,000ft or more. Ticonderoga is only about 4800ft, but if a train holds in this siding it can't be more than 4400ft. due to the two private crossings at the southend of the siding. This is the same for Wadum's, its 5800ft. long, but good for 5400ft. due to a crossing at the southend of the siding. Howard's siding in westport is a little under 8,000ft. A new siding in Port Douglas (rockland) will be in service soon. That siding will be around 9600ft. The last siding is Rouses Point. That siding is 5800ft. Keep in mind that rail cars come in different sizes. A intermodel train may be 30 cars, but the length could be 10,000ft long.

#479464  by firstout

The sidings on the Canadian Sub can handle over a 100 cars. In fact sometime they run 10,000ft. long trains over the northend. Sidings in Ft. Edward, Whitehall, and Bluff Point are 10,000ft or more. Ticonderoga is only about 4800ft, but if a train holds in this siding it can't be more than 4400ft. due to the two private crossings at the southend of the siding. This is the same for Wadum's, its 5800ft. long, but good for 5400ft. due to a crossing at the southend of the siding. Howard's siding in westport is a little under 8,000ft. A new siding in Port Douglas (rockland) will be in service soon. That siding will be around 9600ft. The last siding is Rouses Point. That siding is 5800ft. Keep in mind that rail cars come in different sizes. A intermodel train may be 30 cars, but the length could be 10,000ft long.

#482747  by Adirondack_Ghost

We have to go an pull the derails for CP to deliver to our chemical shed and I was talking to one of the guys and he was saying that we're going to have to switch our own cars in and out of the yard pretty soon due to homeland security rules (We get sodium chlorate, sodium hydroxide, sulfuric acid and bulk starch by rail) on hazardous materials.
I've never heard of such a thing.
Anyone?

#482812  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm still trying to figure out when the "violent work argument" occured. Hope nobody ended up in the hospital, with all that violence occuring during that near fatal "deathmatch" :(

#485843  by kilroy3488

We have to go an pull the derails for CP to deliver to our chemical shed and I was talking to one of the guys and he was saying that we're going to have to switch our own cars in and out of the yard pretty soon due to homeland security rules (We get sodium chlorate, sodium hydroxide, sulfuric acid and bulk starch by rail) on hazardous materials.
I've never heard of such a thing.
Anyone?

Homeland Security? You may have to switch your cars because CP won't......they are trying to kill all local business.....they moved your local from Ft Ed to Plattsburgh to save an engine...but the move has proved to be just plain stupid, sometimes it takes 3 crews to get that job over the road....and notice your cars are getting switched at strange hours or even not at all......

Rob
 #680620  by Adirondack_Ghost

they went back to switching out of Fort Edward shortly after trying the Plattsburgh thing... from what I gathered, the Plattsburgh people were really pissed they had to come all the way down here.
we're back to having our cars switched out in the evening again.