Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#417241  by SimTrains

So, from reading in these threads, and research online I guess there was a major fire, followed by a wreaking ball at the D&H Shops in Colonie a few years ago. Is there anything at all left out there right now? Anything to see??
 #417384  by Noel Weaver

SimTrains wrote:So, from reading in these threads, and research online I guess there was a major fire, followed by a wreaking ball at the D&H Shops in Colonie a few years ago. Is there anything at all left out there right now? Anything to see??
I haven't been there in some time but most likely ruins.
Noel Weaver
 #485549  by NYC4068

Yes, sometime about 2003 there was another fire at the Main Loco Shop (Bldg#1). Local Colonie Officials were supposedly giving Guilford a choice, secure the building from vandals and arsonists or tear it down. Tear it down they did. I stopped by a few times during the demolition and it was truly a sad sight. Giant crawlers with powerful claws ripping the place to shreds. Now just walking on the sight it's difficult to even spot where large things like the drop table or wheel pit used to be. I was fortunate to find ONE scattered brick to keep as a souvenir!

Bldg. 29, the car shop is partly burned and in bad shape too. There are a few other smaller structures standing.
 #486493  by D&HFan

NYC4068 wrote:Yes, sometime about 2003 there was another fire at the Main Loco Shop (Bldg#1). Local Colonie Officials were supposedly giving Guilford a choice, secure the building from vandals and arsonists or tear it down. Tear it down they did. I stopped by a few times during the demolition and it was truly a sad sight. Giant crawlers with powerful claws ripping the place to shreds. Now just walking on the sight it's difficult to even spot where large things like the drop table or wheel pit used to be. I was fortunate to find ONE scattered brick to keep as a souvenir!

Bldg. 29, the car shop is partly burned and in bad shape too. There are a few other smaller structures standing.

Why didnt this go back to the D&H when Guilford gave up in 1988?
 #487130  by NYC4068

As far as I've heard, when CP Rail purchased the D&H they only chose to accept the property they wanted. They had no use for Colonie and besides it was heavily polluted. Thus Guilford is still stuck with this ecological nightmare