Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#413101  by scottychaos

End of an Era..
The D&H has always been strongly associated with Alcos..
but it couldnt last forever.. :(

December 23, 1993.
im driving from Albany to Waverly to visit my parents for Christmas,
as I pass Oneonta I look down into the valley and see a string of 4 dead Alcos sitting in the Oneonta yard. I stopped to take some pictures! :P
it was COLD! :(

these were the last four Alcos to operate on the D&H..they were all retired earlier in 1993.

none of the four are listed as surviving today. :(

RS11 5009
RS11 5002
RS36 5022
RS36 5023

sorry about the picture quality..I just scanned these from prints..I have the original negs somewhere, hopefully I will find them someday so I can make better scans.
I also have more pics than these shown, and im sure I shot all 4 units, but I dont have a pic of 2023 in the selecion of prints I found.

I thought I posted another message about these engines some time ago, but I cant find the thread now..someone said one or more of them may have operated in 1994, but I dont know if it was proven or not..
I have always believed these were the last four alcos running, and they were all retired sometime in 1993.

thanks,
Scot

#413111  by Otto Vondrak

Wow, you were lucky to catch these beasts, even if only on the dead line. I sadly missed out on this whole era of late-model Alco action... Nice photos.

How long did these units stay here?

#413139  by scottychaos

thanks Otto,

I dont know how long they sat there..but I would guess not long.
a few months, probably less than a year.
not many photos of them sitting in the dead-line have turned up, probably because the photo opportunity didnt exist for long.

I lived in Albany from March '93 to March '94, so after March I stopped driving past Onenota! :wink:

that was the one and only time I saw them..

Scot

#413145  by Tadman

Scotty I remember seeing pics of the same units in Trains Mag - in 1993 I was in the fifth grade and had no idea what the fuss over an Alco was. To me it was a tired old beast by a company that couldn't compete. I was an EMD kid all the way. Today, I'm saddened I didn't realize what a treasure an Alco really is, for so many reasons. I missed the BRC Alcos only a few hours away by just a couple years, and I'm still kicking myself for it. Thanks for the great shots.

#413355  by Orgnoi1

At least a couple are still out there and running... even with D&H colors... your shots are great!! D&H still sits as my fav company...

#413361  by sallenparks

Scotty sad memories for me buddy I just barely remember the C628's and all my RS kids gone by the way side.Nice to see pic's of 5002&5022 again those two along with 5015(still alive) where always in Conklin when I was there. At least 5010,5011(RS11's)5015,5017,5019(RS36's) are still alive.NICE PICS SCOTTY.

#420814  by Herr Spreng

Not sure if this group went to NREC-or were cut up on site.