Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#394870  by ricebrianrice

Three questions:

When was service stopped?

When where the tracks torn up?

What happened to the underpass under RT 17 in Windsor?
I was in Windsor last night, and tried to find where the Penn Division went under 17, and it appears to be gone.

#394922  by cjvrr

Depends which section you mean..

Below the junction south of Starucca viaduct, was taken out of service and scrapped once the D&H got control of the DL&W main.

The section between Ninevah and Starucca was kept in place for high and wide loads to get around Belden Tunnel. Once the tunnel was enlarged the line under Starrucca was pulled. Tunnel work was done in the later half of 1985. Remaining track south of Ninevah was pulled I would guess in 1986 by Guilford (they were good at that). They even took or sold off the ballast.

The Route 17 highway bridge over the tracks was removed I am guessing by 1990. Most of the bridges over other roads were taken out around that time too. I remember going to Binghamton on Route 17 and construction to remove the bridge was on-going at the time. Again I would guess around or by 1990.

Chris

#395135  by ricebrianrice

Thanks,

That seems to make sense with what I remember now. It does not seem that long ago that they enlarged Belden Hill Tunnel, but I guess so.

#395748  by cjvrr

My father was a construction cost estimator and worked for the company that enlarged the tunnel. He took me there a few times for "field visits".

We would railfan around Starucca most of the day when we drove up from NJ in the company car :wink:

Hard to believe that was over 20 years ago now. I remember being lucky enough to see the EMD SD-60 demonstrators take the detour.