Railroad Forums 

• Era Specific Structure Colors .... LAYOUT PIX ADDED !!! :)

• Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.
Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#328034  by Mark R.

I model the D&H in the mid to late 70's and am getting to the stage of needing to paint some railroad structures. There seems to be a big overlap in color combinations and I'm not sure which would be most appropriate.
So far, for 1976, I've determined Cream #18 with Gunmetal Brown trim would be appropriate. I've also seen an overlapping of Olive Gray #2 with Station Trim Green #3 trim, which I find very appealing. There are also a few instances of a combination of Light Gray #15 and Silver Gray #16 which looks very traditional for a lot of railroads.

Can anyone shed some more specifics on these color combinations and their appropriate eras ??? Ok - lets really stretch the request .... how about any matches using off-the-shelf paints ??? Does anyone know Tony Steele .... I'm certain he'd know.

This should be interesting.

Mark.
Last edited by Mark R. on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #330516  by march hare

Can't speak authoritatively on this, but I'll add my 2 cents worth.

Seems to me there was a bit of a painting binge in the early Sterzing years, just prior to the Conrail expansion. Station in Cobleskill went from 2 tone green to cream and brown about that time--I could nail that down to within a few months if necessary, since I shot there a lot. The cream and brown combo is still available for the peeling today if you need a match sample.

Did the signals get painted from black to silver about the same time? Anybody?
 #331298  by ChiefTroll

Yes, the silver paint on signals was begun by Bruce Sterzing. He ran a big paint campaign to get the railroad looking half decent again. Actually, Buck Dumaine started it, but it was not continued during the Erie Lackawanna management days, 1968-1972.

When I left for the Pittsburg and Shawmut in August, 1972, the signals were still painted black. Some of the stations on the north end had been repainted with a light cream color, but the brown trim had not yet shown up. Fort Edward was an example, and I think Whitehall was actually all white, since sometime in the late 1950's.

I think it was around 1974 that FA Tower was repainted cream with brown trim, just as a data point.

#331303  by Mark R.

Thanks for the replies guys .... cream and brown it is !!!

.... Like anyone around here will dispute it as being wrong anyway. :wink:

Mark.

#331334  by Mark R.

Sure !!! Here's a few of my favorites ....

Couple projects under way ....

Thanks for the interest,
Mark.

#332260  by Palmerfalls

Mark,
Very nice, I like them all.

Ed
 #332912  by march hare

Damn impressive Harpursville trestle!

Is that RS3m the brass one that came out last year, or did you kitbash that?

#339659  by CPSD40-2

Mark - Amazing work and attention to detail. How did you create the roadsigns?
 #339667  by H.F.Malone

At first, I thought the PA on the Harpursville bridge was a "real" shot, just a bit soft from being scanned..... it seemed out of place among the model photos. But, then I realized it IS a model. VERY good job with the trees, the road, the signs, the lighting, proportions and overall look of everything. FIRST RATE!

And your "coming attractions" are quite impressive, too.

#339795  by Mark R.

Thanks for the compliments everyone !!!

The Bi-centennial RS3-m is a kitbash I did starting with an Atlas RS-3.

The road signs are the real thing .... when-ever I take field trips in the area, I take photo-graphs of all relevant signage I will need for a project. I then just resize the photos to the appropriate size .... can't get any more accurate than that - plus they're already pre-weathered !!! :wink:

Mark.

#340709  by Champlain Division

Mark,

WOW! Got a track plan to show us?

#340731  by Mark R.

Well Rick, here's the trackplan for the main room. There's an additional 12X12 room beside this used for upper and lower staging. I've not shown the main room staging for clarity. :wink: Elevations range from 0" base height to almost 19", Yeah, the plan can appear VERY confusing. I'd have to start my own forum to even begin trying to explain it !!! :-D

Mark.
Last edited by Mark R. on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

#341591  by jmp883

Excellent models and photography! What else can I say but outstanding! :-D

#494062  by Champlain Division

I'm still interested in that track plan, Mark.