Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#319144  by David Hutchinson

Was driving towards Mohawk Yard on Erie Avenue..... at CP161 there is a huge overhead bridge that comes off the main.... has lots of trees growing on it. Is there still track up there and what line is that?

#319209  by Mem160

Schenectedy is not my strong point, but I think it may be the abandoned NYC/PC line to Chicago. I think it would be on a short through truss bridge.

-- Mark

#319309  by Nukengineer

Its been a few years since i've been there, but I think you are talking about the CSXT/ Amtrak line by union ave. Thats the only large bridge across Erie Blvd that I remember. It is still in use (at least it was 2 years ago).

Yup

#320136  by march hare

Yes, that is the former NYC main, very much in use. And yes, there are good sized trees growing on the bridge and growing out of its abutments on both ends. Don't do that on a model RR or the nitpickers will have a field day with you.

The bridge is oversized because it used to be multiple track, now only 1.

No freight traffic, but all Buffalo/NF Amtrak trains go across it daily.
 #325060  by trainsinmaine

The reason that Erie Blvd. bridge is a trestle --- and as big as it is --- is because Erie Blvd. was at one time the Erie Canal. It was gradually filled in around the time of the First World War and turned into a street (the widest main street in America, at least at the time). My uncles could remember when it was done.

If memory serves, one of the abutments of the bridge (the easterly one, I think) is marked with a 19th-century date. I can't recall the exact year.

Remnants of the canal and its towpath can be seen along Rice Road (Rt. 5S) from the GE plant westward toward Rotterdam Junction, and well beyond.