Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#192103  by rhallock

Although I haven't been there in many years, I remember what I believe were the old shop buildings on Green Island of the Rensselaer & Saratoga RR. They were across from the auto parts factory. I heard that the shop buildings had been torn down or fallen down. Does anyone know when they were built and if they might have been the oldest Railroad buildings still left in NY state?

#194474  by rhallock

I am fortunate enough to be able to answer my own question. I found a great little book titled "Industrial archaeology in Troy, Waterford, Cohoes, Green Island, and Watervliet." published in 1973. It shows dozens of interesting old buildings in that area. As to the GI shops, here is the info.
"Rensselaer & Saratoga RR shops-forerunner of Colonie shops, the G.I. shops were begun in 1871 which by the time of their completion had been leased to the D&H. Used for heavy rebuilding and repairs on steam locos, which work was transferred to Colonie after it opened in 1912. Remaining today (1973) are loco shop, water tower, boiler room, machine shop, car chop, foundations of turntable and roundhouse."
Also in G.I. across the street was Ford Motor Co. built in 1919 to take advantage of the water power generated by the (then) new Federal dam nearby. Radiators and other components produced.
Gilbert car mfg. Co. 12 acres in central G. I. one of the first large rail car manufacturers. Begun by the partnership of Gilbert & Eaton in Troy in 1841. Burned, then relocated to G I in 1853. many of the buildings still exist. Built hundreds of street cars for cities such as New York, Chicago, and St. Louis.
D&H freight office. Part of a large transportation complex which included Erie Canal basin, RR yards and engine houses. First part of bldg. (south end) begun in 1875. Two story office section added 1913. Across the street is former NY Central freight house also built in 1870's.
Troy & Schenectady RR viaduct= stone arch viaduct over branch of Mohawk River on west side of GI. Dates to original construction, 1840-1842. Still in use by Penn Central 1973.
Green Island bridge to Troy. Built for D&H in 1884 by Delaware Bridge Co. of N. Y. as both RR and toll highway bridge. Modified between 1916 and 1924. Narrow draw span at east end converted to a vertical lift span.
D&H bridge G I to Van Schaick Island (Cohoes). Warren truss bridge built 1891 by Rochester bridge Works.
Also of note is the New York Central freight house in Troy, the earliest part of which was built by the Troy & Greenbush RR circa. 1845. Could this then be the oldest RR structure left in the state(assuming it's still there?

#273283  by Engineer Spike

the shop building is part of a scrap yard. It needs repairs to the roof, as part is caving in.