Railroad Forums 

• Who is wraping the NL Industries site at Tahawus?

• Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.
Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#148118  by 'Dukes

All you D and H people know what Im talking about.
Tahawus ; home of National lead; it's history is legendary, especially when you combine it with the related history of the old Macyntire mine.

But someone is killing it;

Everytime I go there, something else is missing.
Speeders; gone;
Firetruck; gone;
Chemistry lab; raided; noe of the reagents are left.
The fireproof hood; gone.

I have my suspiciouns, but I'm geussing all the missing items are in the caretaker's house or garage;

They should have been left as they were, just as I did.

What's next, the Siemens xray equipment?

As caretaker this guy should know someone is watching.

This is to me a historic site, and things should be left as they were.

Any other balloonheads come up here to break/take/steal things, rest assured, 'Dukes is looking over you shoulder.
 #148660  by b&m617

I know for a fact that the fire trucks and speeders were sold.

work safe
Derail :P

#148807  by Trackmobile

Is there still a caretaker or does that duty no longer exist?
 #148841  by b&m617

Not sure if there is still a caretaker; I will be going up there this summer. Last time I visited, they were down to having someone there 3 days a week. Much of the surrounding land has been bought by NY state; and I understand that the RR is in danger of being torn up. LB Foster hi-railed the line last year to inspect and put a bid in on the material. I sure would hate to see the track torn up; I have run this line in My speeder and the 2 speeders that were up in the fire house, and it's a great rail buff's railroad. Most of the track in the yard was taken up in the late 90's. I wll share any info that I can come up with.

I started writing a book about Tahawus and the moving of the village in 1963; I hope to finish this some day as I Have much neat material accumulated.

Better get your pictures!!!

work safe

derail :P

#149035  by Trackmobile

What would the caretaker do for the time he spent there?(aside from watching the property against trespassers)Also,I read on an internet site that NL purchased the rail line to preserve the mines value should they ever restart mining in Tahawus.
 #159316  by Adirondack_Ghost

b&m617 wrote:Not sure if there is still a caretaker; I will be going up there this summer. Last time I visited, they were down to having someone there 3 days a week. Much of the surrounding land has been bought by NY state; and I understand that the RR is in danger of being torn up. LB Foster hi-railed the line last year to inspect and put a bid in on the material. I sure would hate to see the track torn up; I have run this line in My speeder and the 2 speeders that were up in the fire house, and it's a great rail buff's railroad. Most of the track in the yard was taken up in the late 90's. I wll share any info that I can come up with.

I started writing a book about Tahawus and the moving of the village in 1963; I hope to finish this some day as I Have much neat material accumulated.

Better get your pictures!!!

work safe

derail :P
An interested party and myself took a Toyota 4x4 pickup up the tracks one night just to see where they went... I was absolutely amazed at what was at the end. We did a quick about-face when we saw the posted signs, that and it was after 2am. The location is absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything so desolate, so industrial and so beautiful in one place.

Ghost
 #160244  by b&m617

You summed it up nicely!! all in one package. Did your toyota have rail wheels???

work safe

#160425  by Cosmo

Can somebody take some pictures and post em before it's too late?
 #160644  by Adirondack_Ghost

b&m617 wrote:You summed it up nicely!! all in one package. Did your toyota have rail wheels???

work safe

LOL... no rail wheels. This was all 4x4 activity. It was an 85 Toyota 4x4 shortbox pickup w/33" BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A's mounted on 15" wheels.

Ghost