Railroad Forums 

• CRI&P route through Mid Louisiana

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#86917  by txbritt

Looking for any, and all information concerning the RI route between Arkansas and Eunice Louisiana. The line ran through Junction City, Ark. - Bernice, La - Ruston - Alexandria - Eunice. Operations ceased in 1981.

I believe this was sub. 39.

I'm looking for timetables, track charts, pictures, rosters, anything for a project that I am working on.

Thanks,

TxBritt

#94856  by hgates3

have you tried mike palmieri's louisiana rail site?

#125581  by route_rock

All right from the Rock Island Employee TT dated Dec 28 1969 Sub 39 has Eldorado Ar to Alexandria La. Sub 40 is Alexandria La to Eunice La. here they are in a nutshell
El Dorado had these TT symbols RFWTYdBCwas a Train Order office
Jct City Ar 92 car capacity with TO office,Bernice 146 car cap with TO and water. Dubach 104 car cap.Vienna s(?)22 car cap
Ruston 145 car cap W Y ydw TO. Quitman 21 car cap.Hodge81 car cap TO and yd.Jonesboro 74 car cap.Hunt 28 car cap TO(n). Dodson 2845 ft siding.Winfield R W Y Yd B C. L&A Jct R. Pineville Jct. Alex L&A yard and Alexandria 204 car cap TO(n) and R W Y Yd B C. Trains Northward are superior to trains of the same class southward. Max speed 40 mph two trains on the card number 35 south and 36 north both second class frieghts 35 left El Do at 11.59 pm and arrived at Alex at 6.59 am.36 left Alex 4.00pm and arrived El Do at 9.05 pm

Sub 40 has Alexandria, RI Jct, Alexandria Jct.,Lamourie Jct, Lecompte 30 car cap,Turkey Creek S(?)10 car cap, Pine Prairie 40 car cap and a TO(n) office,Easton 25 car cap, Mamou 32 car cap and water,SoPac.Jct and finally Eunice TO(n) R Y Yd. Trains and engines will operate per rule 93 Trains may leave Alexandria without clearance when operator not on duty. Rule 10(i)(2) Authorized Max speed 20 mph (not sure the rules dont have a GCOR from that date)No scheduled trains on SUb 40

10 speed restrictions on 39 slowest ones at 5 mph. 3 speed restrictions on 40.all at 15 mph

Alexandria is initial station for all trains originating on 39 sub Between L&A and RI JCt. trains will be goverened by L&A TT and operating rules.

Industries on 39 MP108 Catesville 17 car cap.MP129 AA Reed Lumber 16 car. MP 134 Clairborne Gasoline Co. 15 cars.MP145 Hilly Spur 15 cars. MP 148 Farmers Spur 20 cars.MP 178 Rogers spur 3 cars. MP 184 Louisiana Plywood 24 cars.MP 185 Hunt and Son Lumber co. 28 cars.

Industries on 40MP 250 Wickes Lumber Co. 12 cars.Mp 284 Continental Oil Co. 18 cars. MP 289 Reddel 17 cars.Mp 291 River Brand Rice Mills. 7 cars.MP 291 Magnolia Oil Co. 26 cars. MP 300 Pioneer Lumber co 10 cars.

Track Profile per TT shows a pretty rough profile very sawtooth Ruling grades were 0.78 on the L&A line Northward and 1.00% at Hilly also Northward. Southward grades were 1.00% at Ruston and 0.80% roughly at L&A Jct.

Hope this helps out a bit. TCP
TT symbols B general order books and boards C standard Clock F fuel station P train disp. TO Train Order station with signal TO9n) no train order signal R train register station. T turntable W water station and Y wye

#144264  by txbritt

Awesome Information. Thank you!

I wish I had been born about 10 years prior, so I could have remembered the railroad in operation. I was only 3 or so when they shut down.

TxBritt

#201980  by atlpete

Great thread, you may already seen it but certainly some interesting coverage of those lines in the Four Ways West book "Rock Island South" by Goen. Always fascinated by the RI route in Lousiana, like the GN in California, Milwaukee in Indiana or NYC in West Virginia- incongrous.

#202940  by route_rock

Never heard of the book thanks for the lead! I was in that neck of the woods alot when I drove over the road. Sad to see its all gone.