Railroad Forums 

• Avery, Idaho - Motor Shed

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#730457  by MILWFAN

Hi!

I'm new here. I am modeling the Milwaukee Road from Avery to St Paul Pass tunnel (in HO). I have found a good deal of information on my own, but in so doing, I've run across a curiosity.

In looking at the few pictures I've been able to find of the motor shed (for the electric locomotives) at Avery ID, it looks like the overhead wire doesn't go though the shed but, rather it goes up and over it, and the sanding tower on the west side of the shed. This would mean that the motor couldn't enter (or leave) the shed under their own power and would have to either be pulled/pushed in by the yard goat, or pulled through via a cable/winch arrangement.

If anyone could give me some information about this operation (or at least point me in the right direct to find it myself) I would be very appreciative.

Also, by the time that I model (the twilight of the electrified era) I get the feeling, again from pictures I've dug up, that bot the turntable and the roundhouse were rarely used. Could someone either confirm or deny this suspicion.

Thanx in advance!

George