Railroad Forums 

• What about the E-Units?

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#46618  by railfanofewu

Anybody out their know about the Unique E-Units that were built for the Rocky Mountain Rocket? Did they get preserved, or did they go to the scrap heap of history?

#55220  by route_rock

I am assuming you mean the AB-6(unique to the RI) numbers 750-751 750 sold for scrap to Joliet railway equip on jan-74 751 to Luria Steel 11-73.They were also used in Suburban service.

#55347  by railfanofewu

route_rock wrote:I am assuming you mean the AB-6(unique to the RI) numbers 750-751 750 sold for scrap to Joliet railway equip on jan-74 751 to Luria Steel 11-73.They were also used in Suburban service.
It is sad that the preservationists were nowhere to be found on that one.

#55442  by route_rock

Yes very sad but,at least some Rock stuff is still around.I would like to see RITS or another group go after a diesel when one comes up for sale.WSOR has a few as does TTI that were Rock Island.If the IAIS ever thinks about selling the 400(RI 1275) I will be there with all my credit cards my right leg left(fill in the blank) and an arm if need be! That unit would be mine if I had to beg borrow or beg more(stealing is wrong :-D )But I dont think IAIS is ready yet to dump her off after all the work done to her.Maybe this will give me time to convince the better half"Yes honey we REALLY do need a locomotive!"